How to become a number theorist?

• Thread starter Arian.D
  • Start date
In summary, to become a number theorist, one needs to know elementary number theory, abstract algebra, complex analysis and real analysis, and some computational number theory.
Arian.D
I'm sorry if I'm asking my question in the wrong section, but recently I have become interested in number theory after taking a course in naive(elementary) number theory. The ideas are simple and beautiful and they help me very much in abstract algebra as well. Many concepts that look vague in abstract algebra are now becoming clear for me, I mean I understood the proofs before taking number theory, but now I'm realizing why those theorems were necessary and how the discoverers had been able to find those theorems. I know that number theory is mainly divided into two branches. Analytic number theory and algebraic number theory. I also know, that at least in my place, number theory could be chosen as an independent field of study for graduates. I want to know that if someone wants to become a number theorist, what things does he/she need to know? Naive number theory, abstract algebra (to study algebraic number theory), complex analysis & real analysis (to study analytic number theory), and what else? I mean the prerequisites.
And if there's someone here who's chosen number theory as their field of research, could they tell me what courses they have taken in graduate school or in PhD?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd be interested in learning more about this, too. I've taken two courses in elementary number theory and really enjoyed them.

I've heard that analytic number theory is a tougher field to get into than algebraic number theory, but that's second-hand knowledge and so I don't know if it's true. I think there is also a subfield in computational number theory, yes?

practice, practice, practice!

Just out of curiousity, since I've taken a number theory course and I'm not sure where it's situated: what is "naive" number theory?

He says by "naive" he means elementary. Incidentally, I took an elementary number theory class and didn't particularly like it. Which is only interesting because now I intend to become a number theorist.

1. What is number theory?

Number theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the properties and relationships of numbers, particularly integers.

2. What skills are needed to become a number theorist?

To become a number theorist, you will need a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in algebra, geometry, and analysis. You should also have excellent problem-solving skills, critical thinking ability, and the ability to think abstractly.

3. What education is required to become a number theorist?

Typically, a PhD in mathematics with a specialization in number theory is required to become a number theorist. However, a strong background in mathematics at the undergraduate level is also essential.

4. What career opportunities are available for number theorists?

Number theorists can pursue careers in academia as professors or researchers, in government agencies as analysts or consultants, or in the private sector as data analysts or statisticians.

5. What resources are available for aspiring number theorists?

There are many resources available for aspiring number theorists, including textbooks, online courses, research papers, and conferences. It is also helpful to engage with the number theory community through networking and attending seminars and workshops.