1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What are the duties of a university professor/researcher?

1. Oct 1, 2013 #1
    I've been considering a possible career pathway towards becoming a university professor/researcher for quite some time now, and I actually have some questions concerning that.

Actually, first of all, what is the difference, if any, between a professor and a researcher?

Secondly, aside from publishing and research, I've heard that some professors do not have any teaching duties. To what extent is that true?

And last of all, is a professor/researcher expected to publish his work regularly and consistentl? Does he/she run the risk of getting kicked out of the university for being a lazy bone?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2013 #2
    The title of your thread answers your questions . Professors have to teach and do research if they are working in a research institution.

4. Oct 1, 2013 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

In practical terms, none. All academics are expected to both teach and generate scholarly works. The term used to distinguish academics with funded research programs from those without is 'Principal Investigator'.

I am able to 'buy out' teaching time with research dollars. There's a full spectrum, from those teaching the maximum (here, it's 16 credit hours per academic year) to those with no teaching duties. I have no teaching duties this semester. Next semester I am teaching 1 class.

Yes. And yes, during the pre-tenure period.

5. Oct 2, 2013 #4
    Thank you all for your replies. I believe I got all the answers to my questions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook