• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

What are the duties of a university professor/researcher?

• Thread starter Vahsek
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I've been considering a possible career pathway towards becoming a university professor/researcher for quite some time now, and I actually have some questions concerning that.

Actually, first of all, what is the difference, if any, between a professor and a researcher?

Secondly, aside from publishing and research, I've heard that some professors do not have any teaching duties. To what extent is that true?

And last of all, is a professor/researcher expected to publish his work regularly and consistentl? Does he/she run the risk of getting kicked out of the university for being a lazy bone?

Answers and Replies

The title of your thread answers your questions . Professors have to teach and do research if they are working in a research institution.

Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
<snip>
Actually, first of all, what is the difference, if any, between a professor and a researcher?
In practical terms, none. All academics are expected to both teach and generate scholarly works. The term used to distinguish academics with funded research programs from those without is 'Principal Investigator'.

Secondly, aside from publishing and research, I've heard that some professors do not have any teaching duties. To what extent is that true?
I am able to 'buy out' teaching time with research dollars. There's a full spectrum, from those teaching the maximum (here, it's 16 credit hours per academic year) to those with no teaching duties. I have no teaching duties this semester. Next semester I am teaching 1 class.

And last of all, is a professor/researcher expected to publish his work regularly and consistentl? Does he/she run the risk of getting kicked out of the university for being a lazy bone?
Yes. And yes, during the pre-tenure period.

Likes 1 person
Thank you all for your replies. I believe I got all the answers to my questions.