Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate complex permittivity from complex conductivity

1. Aug 3, 2014 #1
    Hi,

I got the complex conductivity vs. frequency table of a metamaterial. Its first lines are like this:

f conductivity
    1GHz 0.004+0.00297i
    1.1GHz 0.004+0.00295i
    1.2GHz 0.003+0.00294i

the table goes up to 10GHz.

Now the problem is that I need to enter this material into electromagnetic simulation tools. But these tools require a real permittivity and frequency dependent loss tangent (CST and HFSS). So how can I calculate complex permittivity (real permittivity and loss tangent) from the above data?

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2014 #2

Greg Bernhardt

Staff: Admin

I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?

4. Aug 12, 2014 #3

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

I'm no expert in the field, but conductivity and permittivity would seem to be fairly orthogonal properties. Have you tried finding a table of permittivity for this material?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conductivity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permittivity

5. Aug 13, 2014 #4

DrDu

Science Advisor

The problem is that there are many different conventions out there, but I would guess that in your case ##\epsilon =\epsilon_0+\frac{i}{\omega} \sigma##.

6. Dec 4, 2015 #5
    Hello,

I have the same problem. I have calculated the complex conductivity of a certain material at frequency fo. Now i want to introduce this material in HFSS. How can i determin the complex permitivity (real permitivity and loss tangent) from the complex conductivity?

If you figured out how to do this...can you please help me as well?

Many thanks in advance.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted