How to Calculate Earth’s Number Density: Iron vs Proton Mass Method

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Planters99
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Density Earth
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 4K views
Planters99
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
I was wondering what is the best way to calculate the number density of earth? Should we assume that the Earth is mostly Iron and calculate the N from there or should we assume the average particle mass is the mass of a proton?

Also if a small black hole is created on Earth and makes one passage through Earth how can we calculate the mass it sweeps up? I calculated the mean free path of this black hole created from two protons colliding and I get a mean free path that is extremely large >>>>>> the diameter of earth. Does this mean the black hole will not interact with anything and go right through earth? I am not quite sure about this because don't black holes oscillate?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Planters99 said:
I was wondering what is the best way to calculate the number density of earth? Should we assume that the Earth is mostly Iron and calculate the N from there or should we assume the average particle mass is the mass of a proton?
Or you could Wiki it: 5.5153 g/cm³
 
That is density not number density. Number density is number of particles over volume and basically my question is what is the best particle to use for the Earth Iron? Proton? Electron?
 
Without looking at specific minerals, the best you could calculate would be a mean number density. Oxygen and silicon are the most abundant elements in the Earth's crust, so silicate (SiO_3) might give you a reasonable starting point for a rough calculation.