How to Calculate Inclination Angle for Galaxies in the Tully-Fischer Relation

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Snowdeity
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Angle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
Snowdeity
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I've got a lab. And the deal is, you're measuring certain things on various galaxies and eventually calculating the Tully-Fischer relation. Anyways, part of it is calculating an inclination angle to all of the galaxies measured. And I'm stuck with this. I have the major and minor axis dimensions to each galaxy but not really much else. Have the magnitude of the flux through each of them, but don't think that would help. I'm somewhat bad at geometrical relations, can anyone help clue me in on getting inclination angles with just the dimensions of the galaxy and assuming that they're intrinsically circular systems and infinitely thin disks?
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nevermind, had it right beforehand. Excel just spits out angles in radians, got confused, hehe.