How to Calculate Moles and Mass in a Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate Sample?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Sace Ver
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Copper
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Sace Ver
Messages
79
Reaction score
2

Homework Statement


A sample contains 2.5x1020 formula units of CuSO4•5H2O...
a) calculate the number of moles present in this sample
b) calculate the mass of this sample

N=2.5x1020
M=249.69g/mol

2. Homework Equations


n=N/Na
m=nM

The Attempt at a Solution



a)
n=N/Na
n=2.5x1020/6.02x1023
n=0.000415mol

b)
m=nM
m=(0.000415mol)(249.69g/mol)
m=0.10369g

Am I correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes but that looks correct. I have got through a lifetime without ever hearing the term 'formula units'. Unnecessary IMO and I expect you will forget it, like those formulae you used. All it means is 'number of molecules' right? Which would see you through. I expect this pedantry is because CuSO4.5H2O isn't strictly a molecule but, oof, it's just like one for this purpose.
 
epenguin said:
Yes but that looks correct. I have got through a lifetime without ever hearing the term 'formula units'. Unnecessary IMO and I expect you will forget it, like those formulae you used. All it means is 'number of molecules' right? Which would see you through. I expect this pedantry is because CuSO4.5H2O isn't strictly a molecule but, oof, it's just like one for this purpose.
There was another part to this question and it asked how many moles of this substance are in this sample? Would that not just be the same as the answer to a)?