1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate section constants for rectangular tubes?

1. Feb 10, 2010 #1
    Hi.

I was wondering how to calculate I and W for rectangular and quadratic tubes. I have formulars for massive rectangular and square sections and for circular tubes. I tried to make a formular for a square tube section, based on how the formular for the circular tube looks - but I didn't get the correct result (compared with results from "Sectionananalyzer"). I am calculating som wood box columns, and it would be nice to write the formular - even directly in my Excel calculation sheet, rather than using section analyzer.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2010 #2

Lok

What is I and W?
    People here are from different backgrounds or countries terminology differs :P

4. Feb 10, 2010 #3
    Oh allright, I thought it was international.
    I = Moment of Inertia.
    W = Moment of resistance (?) - Not sure if that is the correct English word.
    i = Radius of inertia.
    A = Area (this I can figure out how to calculate, though...) :smile:

5. Feb 10, 2010 #4

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

6. Feb 10, 2010 #5
    Thank's for the answer. I was asking because some of these formulas is not written in my book.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook