How to calculate section constants for rectangular tubes?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of I and W for rectangular and quadratic tubes, with the individual seeking to find a formula for square tube sections. They mention the use of section analyzer and inquire about the meaning of I, W, and other related terms. Resources for calculating these values are also provided.
Thorvald
Hi.

I was wondering how to calculate I and W for rectangular and quadratic tubes. I have formulas for massive rectangular and square sections and for circular tubes. I tried to make a formula for a square tube section, based on how the formula for the circular tube looks - but I didn't get the correct result (compared with results from "Sectionananalyzer"). I am calculating som wood box columns, and it would be nice to write the formula - even directly in my Excel calculation sheet, rather than using section analyzer.

Engineering news on Phys.org
What is I and W?
People here are from different backgrounds or countries terminology differs :P

Oh allright, I thought it was international.
I = Moment of Inertia.
W = Moment of resistance (?) - Not sure if that is the correct English word.
i = Radius of inertia.
A = Area (this I can figure out how to calculate, though...) :smile:

Thank's for the answer. I was asking because some of these formulas is not written in my book.

1. What are section constants for rectangular tubes?

Section constants for rectangular tubes are numerical values that represent the geometric properties of a rectangular tube cross-section, such as its area, moment of inertia, and section modulus. These constants are commonly used in structural engineering to calculate the strength and stiffness of rectangular tubes.

2. How do you calculate the area of a rectangular tube?

To calculate the area of a rectangular tube, simply multiply the length of one side by the length of the other side. The formula is A = b x h, where A is the area, b is the base or width of the tube, and h is the height of the tube.

3. What is moment of inertia for a rectangular tube?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. In the case of rectangular tubes, moment of inertia is a measure of how the tube's cross-sectional shape affects its ability to resist bending. The formula for moment of inertia of a rectangular tube is I = 1/12 x b x h^3, where b is the base or width of the tube, and h is the height of the tube.

4. How do you calculate section modulus for a rectangular tube?

Section modulus is a measure of a beam's stiffness and its ability to resist bending. In the case of rectangular tubes, section modulus is calculated using the moment of inertia and the distance from the neutral axis (centroid) to the outermost edge of the tube. The formula for section modulus of a rectangular tube is Z = I / c, where Z is the section modulus, I is the moment of inertia, and c is the distance from the neutral axis to the outermost edge of the tube.

5. Are there any online tools available for calculating section constants for rectangular tubes?

Yes, there are many online tools and calculators available that can help you quickly calculate section constants for rectangular tubes. Some popular options include the Section Properties Calculator by Engineers Edge and the Beam Calculator by WebStructural. However, it is always recommended to double-check your calculations manually to ensure accuracy.