1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to calculate the angle using work, displacement and 2 forces?

1. Feb 10, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Given:
    Work = 12000 J
    Weight: 800 N
    displacement: 200 m
    Force: 120 N
    angle = ?

2. Relevant equations
    W = Fd

W = Fd cos θ

cos -1 (W/Fd) = θ

3. The attempt at a solution

First I added the 2 forces together.

800 + 120 = 920 N

calculated work; 200 m * 920 N = 184000 J

then used the second formula;

cos -1 (12000 J /184000 J) = 86.3°

but the answer in my book says the answer is supposed to be 60°....

help me please.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 10, 2014 #2
    You're going to have to clarify the situation. What is going on in the problem? A block sliding, it looks like? Also, what do mean by the angle? The angle between what?

4. Feb 10, 2014 #3
    The question says;

a person uses a cord to pull a boat with a mass of 1000 kg by 50.0 m along the board walk. The cord makes a 45 degrees angle with the horizontal force. If a force of 40 N is applied to the boat, how much work is realized?

5. Feb 10, 2014 #4
    I think you have the wrong problem -- in that one you're given the angle, but in this one you're trying to find it.

6. Feb 10, 2014 #5
    You're right, I got them mixed up.

The real one says,

12000 J of work is required to pull a wagon that weighs 800 N, in a distance of 200 m. If the applied force over the cord is 120 N, what is the angle?

Sorry for that.

7. Feb 10, 2014 #6
    No problem.

You have the same problem as before -- adding the forces to find the work, when they need to be done separately. So first find [itex]W_{weight}[/itex] and then [itex]W_{app}[/itex].

8. Feb 10, 2014 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@Jacko: Please stop trying to lift boats and wagons. They stay level. No Wweight.

9. Feb 10, 2014 #8
    The point was to figure out that the work done by weight is zero.

10. Feb 10, 2014 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Fixo: You're doing the right thing. W is work in your second relevant formula, not Weight. Don't let the weight or Jacko distract you. What is W/Fd ? right, no need for a calculator!

The first formula doesn't apply: F isn't in the direction of d. That's where the cos comes in: to calculate the component of F that is in the direction of d.

11. Feb 11, 2014 #10
    I would have never figured that out. But with this new found information I will try to do it again.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted