Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Complaint How to Cancel Phys Org Membership?

1. Jun 16, 2016 #1
    I tried once before but couldn't delete my profile or membership.

I'm not learning anything new from the sight,
    and no one is learning anything from me either.
    I see no reason to keep my profile/membership on this site.

Please let me know how can I delete my membership on this site.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2016 #2

DrClaude

Staff: Mentor

What site are you talking about?

4. Jun 16, 2016 #3

Mark44

Are you asking about deleting your membership from this site? This is physicsforums.com, not physics.org or whatever.

You have two options:
    1) Stop posting here and/or stop visiting this site.
    2) If that's not enough for you, ask us to ban you.

5. Jun 16, 2016 #4

jtbell

Please note that banning you will not delete your posts. It will simply put a line through your name on your posts, and prevent you from posting in the future.

6. Jun 16, 2016 #5
    Sorry, I was talking about Physics Forum site.
    You all are saying there is no way to totally remove my profile or account from this site, once I sign up for this site?
    Doesn't it violate some kind of law, specially laws of ethics?

7. Jun 16, 2016 #6

phyzguy

Science Advisor

No, I don't think any laws are violated. When you signed up, you specifically agreed to the Terms and Rules, which say the following:
    • Deleting Accounts:
      Please do not ask us to delete your account. If you no longer want to participate in PF, simply stop posting. If you need to be restrained from posting here, we can ban you, but this will not remove your posts or your profile.

• Deleting Posts:
      Normally, we remove or edit posts only if they violate these Guidelines. You should consider your posts and threads as permanently available for everyone's benefit. If you want us to make an exception (e.g. a question that has not yet received any responses, or a post that contains personal identifying information), you may use the Report button on the post to request action.

8. Jun 16, 2016 #7

mfb

2016 Award

Also from our rules, which you accepted by registering and posting:
    Which law would it violate? You granted this forum the right to display your posts. The forum is using the right. Old threads are an important part of the forum, because many things have been discussed already so people can look up what has been said. Removing individual posts would disrupt those discussions.

Greg (the forum owner) might rename your account here, if you like to make the connection to your nick less clear.

9. Jun 16, 2016 #8

Dale

We can ban you and remove your access, but we can't remove the content you posted. If we did it would make confusion in the threads where you participated.

10. Jun 16, 2016 #9
    Ethics can mean different things to people.

11. Jun 16, 2016 #10

berkeman

I fixed your post to remove the insult to the OP... :smile:

12. Jun 16, 2016 #11

berkeman

Maybe send me a PM so we can discuss what is bothering you? You've been here for quite a while, so if it's something small, maybe we can work it out.

13. Jun 17, 2016 #12

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I feel the same way, but I remain a member and read and post to topics in which I can help. Sometimes I even ask a question. The ability to self-remove ones account would be a good feature, yet I have not yet done this nor asked it to be done for me.

14. Jun 17, 2016 #13
    Too much censorship in these forums.
    Not only in social threads, censorship runs into scientific threads as well.
    I refuse to type anything when I can't express my thoughts.

15. Jun 17, 2016 #14
    ha ha ha,
    Don't you worry, insults do not bother me.
    If it did, I'd be in online forums.

16. Jun 17, 2016 #15

CalcNerd

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

While I share this opinion as well, you must remember that many of the moderators here see lots of crackpots and posters who ramble on without putting any thoughts into their posts. As the underlying purpose of this forum is to provide established physics knowledge, while not doing some freshman's homework, a balance has been struck and the moderators often err on the side of censorship.
    Some moderators are more quick / close threads before the issue is actually resolved or corrected. In fact, if I see certain moderators respond or administer certain areas, I don't bother to participate either. However, the majority (nearly all) of the moderators are excellent.

17. Jun 17, 2016 #16

Nugatory

When you see a thread cut off prematurely you can PM the mentor who did the closing and ask that it be reopened. We close them when it appears that there is no constructive discussion consistent with the PF mission and values going on, so if you can be specific about what you want to post into the thread (whether a followup or clarifying question, or a better response than has yet been posted) it helps a lot.

18. Jun 17, 2016 #17

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

+1

19. Jun 17, 2016 #18

Evo

If your thoughts don't meet the guidelines, or they aren't helpful to the thread or meaningful to the topic of the thread, or are unsubstantiated, then it's very likely that your post may be deleted to prevent the thread from going off topic. If you do not understand why your post was deleted, you should send a private message to the mentor of that forum and ask.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted