How to characterise solutions to an unsolved equation

• I
  • Thread starter NotEuler
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the dependence of solutions on a differentiable function g(x) in an equation with known constants. The dependence can be characterized by integrating both sides of the equation and solving for g(x), but more information is needed to get a specific value for x.
NotEuler
TL;DR Summary
Equation a+bx=(cx+dx^2)*g'(x). I don't know g(x) but it is differentiable. What can I say about the dependence of solutions on g(x) and/or g'(x)?
I'm pondering a seemingly simple problem: Say I have an equation with an unknown function in it. For example,
a+bx=(cx+dx^2)*g'(x)
I don't know g(x) but it is differentiable. What can I say about the dependence of solutions on g(x)?
I don't know the function g(x), except that it is differentiable.

If g'(x) is constant, this seems straightforward. What if g'(x) is not a constant? What can I say with certainty and rigor about the dependence of the solution on g'(x) and g(x)?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
##g'(x)=\frac{ax+b}{cx+dx^2}##
Now integrate both sides. On the left side you get ##g(x)## plus a constant from the fundamental theorem of calculus. I'll leave it up to you to try integrating the right side (hint: try partial fraction decomposition)

Thank you Shredder. I may have phrased my question poorly, and am not sure if your answer really addresses what I intended to say.

What I meant is: there is some value of x that solves the original equation. That value will somehow depend on g'(x). How can that dependence be characterised?

I am not sure how integrating will help. Then I will just have an equation with g(x) on one side and a function of x on the other, and I still have the same problem.

Or perhaps I misunderstand something here.

NotEuler said:
Thank you Shredder. I may have phrased my question poorly, and am not sure if your answer really addresses what I intended to say.

What I meant is: there is some value of x that solves the original equation. That value will somehow depend on g'(x). How can that dependence be characterised?

I am not sure how integrating will help. Then I will just have an equation with g(x) on one side and a function of x on the other, and I still have the same problem.

Generally, the goal of these equations is to solve for the function g(x). More information is then required to get a specific value of x.

NotEuler said:
You ought to be precise about the whole question. Do you have "known" constants ##a, b, c,d## and a "known" function ##g(x)##? And you want to find the specific values of ##x## that solve you equation?

With ##x=0##, assuming that ##g'(0) \ne \infty##, we must have ##a=0##. Also, what do you mean by "original equation" in post #3?

1. What is the process for characterising solutions to an unsolved equation?

The process for characterising solutions to an unsolved equation involves analyzing the equation and its variables, identifying any patterns or relationships, and using mathematical techniques such as substitution or elimination to solve for the unknown variable.

2. How do I know if a solution to an unsolved equation is valid?

A valid solution to an unsolved equation must satisfy the original equation when the value is substituted for the unknown variable. This can be checked by plugging in the solution and simplifying both sides of the equation to see if they are equal.

3. Can there be more than one solution to an unsolved equation?

Yes, there can be multiple solutions to an unsolved equation. This can happen when the equation has multiple variables or when there are multiple ways to manipulate the equation to solve for the unknown variable.

4. What if I can't find a solution to an unsolved equation?

If a solution cannot be found using traditional mathematical techniques, it is possible that the equation has no real solutions. In this case, it may be helpful to graph the equation or use other methods to further analyze the equation and its solutions.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving unsolved equations?

While there are no guaranteed shortcuts or tricks for solving unsolved equations, there are some strategies that can make the process easier. These include factoring, using the quadratic formula, or simplifying the equation by combining like terms before attempting to solve for the unknown variable.