How to cite for a figure taken from a paper?

In summary, you may use figures from a paper in your own work as long as you properly cite the source. The citation for a figure taken from a paper typically includes the author(s), year of publication, title of the paper, figure number, and page number. Permission is usually required from the original author or publisher to use a figure, but some may fall under fair use. If you want to modify a figure, you should first ask for permission and include a citation for the original source. The format for a figure citation in a reference list will depend on the required citation style and should include the figure number and page number.
maNoFchangE
I want to present a picture which was taken from a paper in my thesis. Can I simply write at the end of the figure caption "(taken from [reference])" or should I get an official permission from the paper's author?

Likes Dr. Courtney
Physics news on Phys.org
If it copyrighted (most are), you need permission of the copyright holder, which may or may not be the author.

1. Can I use figures from a paper in my own work?

Yes, you can use figures from a paper in your own work as long as you properly cite the source.

2. How do I cite a figure taken from a paper?

The citation for a figure taken from a paper typically includes the author(s), the year of publication, the title of the paper, the figure number, and the page number where the figure can be found. It should be formatted according to the citation style required for your specific field or publication.

3. Do I need to get permission to use a figure from a paper?

In most cases, you will need to get permission from the original author or publisher to use a figure from a paper. This can usually be done by contacting the corresponding author or the publisher directly. However, some figures may fall under fair use and do not require permission.

4. Can I modify a figure taken from a paper?

If you want to modify a figure taken from a paper, you should first ask for permission from the original author or publisher. If permission is granted, you should clearly state that the figure has been modified and include a citation for the original source.

5. How should I format a figure citation in my reference list?

The format for a figure citation in a reference list will depend on the citation style required for your specific field or publication. In general, it should include the same information as a regular citation, but with the addition of the figure number and page number where the figure can be found.