How to compute Hydrogen Inner Products <n,l+1,m+1|n,l-1,m+1>?

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter maverick280857
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Hydrogen
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
maverick280857
Messages
1,774
Reaction score
5
Hi,

I want to compute inner products of the form

[tex]\langle n,l+1,m+1|n,l-1|m+1\rangle[/tex]

where [itex]|n,l,m\rangle[/itex] are hydrogen atom eigenfunctions.

Whats the best way to do this, without writing them in the position space representation (i.e. evaluating volume integrals)? Are there any known identities to do this calculation?

Thanks in advance,
Vivek.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
check that inner product once more, there is a misprint.

<n,L1,m1|n,L2,m2> = 0.

Distinct eigenfunctions are always orthogonal.
 
Yeah, I forget where :frown:. I had to determine coefficients of a linear combination containing these two kets. And to find them, I started taking inner products. Maybe I made some mistake.

Thanks for your reply, malawi_glenn. I'll post back with the right terms...I think I should sleep more :-|