Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Medical How to cope with mental destruction?

1. Nov 21, 2011 #1
    I am pretty sure most of you have been involved in academia. (I mean, studied sciences at university level) Sometimes, I get really angry when I don't come up with a brilliant solution, especially if one of my classmates just goes like 'ah!'. Also, I feel really disappointed at my self whenever I hear anecdotes about Terence Tao or Stephen Wolfram.

I am really looking forward to hear about some experienced advices. Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2011 #2

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My suggestion: if at all possible, try not getting angry at your fellow students' brilliant solutions. Emotions like anger and jealousy are bad for creative problem solving. When someone offers a really nice solution to a problem, just think, Wow cool answer! Try to get a *good* feeling from their work.

If you allow yourself to stew in "negative emotions", you're cutting yourself off from seeing the next brilliant solution.

4. Nov 21, 2011 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

The best advice, seek professional help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook