How to Create Symbolic Versions of Statements in Formal Language

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter Valtham
  • Start date Start date
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Valtham
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Currently I am trying to convert a statement into symbolic version. The following statement:

"Each of our representatives has at least one customer that is located in Japan."

I'm a little confused about this because I'm not sure how I would represent "Japan" in the symbolic version. At the moment I would say "For all y, there exists x in Japan." Should I treat Japan as a set, or would I treat it like an iff statement? I can't find the tool to write equations or I would write in symbolic form.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The result of turning an English statement into symbolic form depends on the formal language, also called the signature, that you have. I would prefer the problem statement provided a signature because otherwise there are too many possible answers.

I think the following signature is appropriate here.

R(x): x is a representative

C(x): x is a customer

W(x, y): x works with y, i.e., x and y have a representative-customer relation

L(x, y): x is located in y

j: Japan (j is a constant).