Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to decompose the following expression?

1. Jan 18, 2015 #1
    This comes from one of the research papers that I'm reading. The authors decompose Eq. 1 and obtain Eq. 2. After several attempts, I have been fairly unsuccessful at obtaining Eq. 2 from Eq. 1.

I have tried using partial fractions decomposition without much success. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Eq. 1

20-%20%5Cfrac%7B%5Cprod_%7Bs2%7D%20%7D%7B1-%5Cdelta%20+%5Cdelta%20%5Cepsilon%20_%7Bs2%7D%7D.gif

Eq. 2

gif.gif

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Try to find the other direction, that is easier (and all steps work both ways). You can simplify equation 2 and get equation 1.

4. Jan 18, 2015 #3

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

You have to explain the relations that exist among the symbols to get help on this question.

5. Jan 18, 2015 #4

Mark44

Yes, especially ##\Pi_{s1}## and ##\Pi_{sS2}##. Are they just numbers or is something else going on? The symbol ##\Pi## is usually used to denote a product.

6. Jan 18, 2015 #5
    Sorry, I should have clarified. ∏s1 is profit in country 1, ∏s2 is profit in country 2, ∈s1 is risk in country 1, ∈s2 is risk in country 2, and δ is the discount rate.

Eq. 2 tries to separate risk elements (∈s1 and ∈s2) from the profit gap between countries. Hope this helps.

7. Jan 18, 2015 #6

mfb

2016 Award

∏ as variable is a bit unusual, but as long as all symbols are just variables, their meaning does not matter. This just needs the basic rules to work with fractions.

8. Jan 19, 2015 #7

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

The results of a simple numerical test did produce identical answers for EPV. (Of course someone should check my program.)

The output

9. Jan 19, 2015 #8

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Getting rid of terms in a denominator that don't cancel with anything in the numerator is a frequent mathematical daydream. Suppose we approach the problem as the desire to express:

[itex]( \frac{A}{W + F} - \frac{B}{W + G}) [/itex] as [itex]( \frac{A}{W} - \frac{B}{W}) \ + \ L [/itex]

where [itex] L [/itex] is the leftover stuff.

Then
    [itex] L = \frac{A}{W+F} - \frac{A}{W} - \frac{B}{W + G} + \frac{B}{W }[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{ AW - A(W+F)} {W(W+F)} + \frac{-BW+B(W+G)}{W(W+G)} [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{-AF}{W(W+F)} + \frac{BG}{W(W+G)} [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{1}{W} ( \frac{BG}{W+G} - \frac{AF}{W+F}) [/itex]

In the problem at hand, there are relations between [itex] W, F, G[/itex]

[itex] W = 1 -\delta [/itex]
    [itex]F = \delta \epsilon_1 = (1-W)\epsilon_1 [/itex]
    [itex]G = \delta \epsilon_2 = (1-W)\epsilon_2 [/itex]

Substituting in selected places for [itex] F [/itex] and [itex] G [/itex]

[itex] L = \frac{1}{W}( \frac{B(1-W)\epsilon_2}{W+G} - \frac{A(1-W)\epsilon_1}{W+F} ) [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{1-W}{W} ( \frac{ \epsilon_2 B}{W+G} - \frac{\epsilon_1 A}{W+F}) [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{1-W}{W} ( \frac{ (W+F)\epsilon_2 B - (W+G)\epsilon_1A}{(W+G)(W+F)}) [/itex]

In the problem at hand:
    [itex] A = \prod_{s1} [/itex]
    [itex] B = \prod_{s2} [/itex]
    [itex] W = (1 -\delta) [/itex]
    [itex] F = \delta \epsilon_{s1} [/itex]
    [itex] G = \delta \epsilon_{s2} [/itex]
    [itex] \epsilon_1 = \epsilon_{s1} [/itex]
    [itex] \epsilon_2 = \epsilon_{s2} [/itex].

10. Jan 31, 2015 #9

Thanks so much! The simplification of L makes sense. Could you please dwell on how to separate [itex]( \frac{A}{W} - \frac{B}{W}) [/itex] from [itex]( \frac{A}{W + F} - \frac{B}{W + G}) [/itex]?

11. Jan 31, 2015 #10

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I'm not sure what you are asking.

12. Feb 1, 2015 #11
    So, we expressed [itex]( \frac{A}{W + F} - \frac{B}{W + G}) [/itex] as [itex]( \frac{A}{W} - \frac{B}{W}) \ + \ L [/itex]. You then proceed to further simplify the leftover stuff. However, how can we get from [itex]( \frac{A}{W + F} - \frac{B}{W + G}) [/itex] to [itex]( \frac{A}{W} - \frac{B}{W}) \ + \ L [/itex]?

Thanks.

13. Feb 1, 2015 #12

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

I just defined [itex] L [/itex] to be [itex] ( \frac{A}{W + F} - \frac{B}{W + G}) - ( \frac{A}{W} - \frac{B}{W}) [/itex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook