How to Determine the Dimension of Span(1, cos(2x), cos²(x)) in C[-π, π]?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Dustinsfl
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Dimension Subspace
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 7K views
Dustinsfl
Messages
2,217
Reaction score
5
C[-pi, pi]
Span(1, cos (2x), cos2 (x))

Doing the Wronskian here is pain so what other method would be more appropriate?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
cos2x=2cos^2 x-1 but I don't see how that is a multiple of cos2x sine it doesn't = cos^2 x outright.
 
Can cos2x can be written as a linear combination of cos2x and 1?
 
Dustinsfl said:
cos2x=2cos^2 x-1 but I don't see how that is a multiple of cos2x sine it doesn't = cos^2 x outright.
I realize that you already figured this out, but if you look at what I said, I didn't say that one of the functions was a multiple of another. I said that one function was a linear combination of the other two.