How to draw curves (cardioid, lemniscate, devil's curve)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a software program to draw complicated curves. The original poster already has the equations but needs a program to plot them. Various options are suggested, such as Gnuplot, Maple, Mathematica, and Matlab. One person recommends using Geogebra, a free program that can handle implicit equations. The conversation ends with the suggestion to close the CAS window in Geogebra and the offer to be contacted for further help.
ydonna1990
Hi everyone,

Thanks for visiting my post. I was wondering if you guys know what kind of software I must use to draw complicated curves. I already have the equations. For example, for lemniscate I would use following:
2(x^2+y^2)=25(x^2-y^2)

I appreciate the help.

Physics news on Phys.org
mfb said:
There are many programs that can plot those curves.
Your specific example are two straight lines.
The example that I posted is Lemniscate's equation in Cartesian coordinates. Please refer to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemniscate_of_Bernoulli
Anyway, I have the equations and I would like to draw the curves.

And as you said, I know that there are many software programs available. Can you provide me with a name.

Thanks.

Your formula is missing a square on the left side.

This list has many programs.
Gnuplot, Maple, Mathematica and Matlab are some of the more prominent plotting programs in this list.
ydonna1990 said:
I know that there are many software programs available
Then why did you ask which program you "must" use if there are so many options?

Edit: We don't delete threads, but I can close this one.

Last edited:
ydonna1990 said:
Can you provide me with a name.

Follow the link in post #2 and you will have one name. :smile:

The equation is 2(x^2+y^2)^2=25(x^2-y^2). I wrote my post in a hurry and didn't see the error until now.

Also as for the usage of the word "must", it could have easily been replaced with words like "could, should, may", etc. It's just a technicality. I apologize if you misunderstood.

Thanks for the list. It will come in handy.

jtbell said:
Follow the link in post #2 and you will have one name. :smile:

Well, one name, two names, three names.

Happy to be given a list eventually. I will def check out Gnuplot and Maple.

Check geogebra. It's free and it can handle these kind of implicit equations perfectly.

micromass said:
Check geogebra. It's free and it can handle these kind of implicit equations perfectly.
It's great. Thank you. I am trying it out now. I am trying to use CAS but it doesn't seem to plot. Any ideas?

What's CAS? Is that part of geogebra, or does it mean you're using another Computer Algebra System?
If you're using geogebra, you just need to go all the way below to "input" and type your equation 2(x^2+y^2)^2=25(x^2-y^2). That should plot it immediately.

micromass said:
What's CAS? Is that part of geogebra, or does it mean you're using another Computer Algebra System?
If you're using geogebra, you just need to go all the way below to "input" and type your equation 2(x^2+y^2)^2=25(x^2-y^2). That should plot it immediately.

CAS is part of geogebra. I just downloaded it and I am looking at it now. O.K. I will do that.

Oh ok, I see it now. You don't need this CAS at all. It's better just to close that window.

micromass said:
Oh ok, I see it now. You don't need this CAS at all. It's better just to close that window.
Alright. Do you think it'd be ok if I pm you some time later? (currently I am working on something). You are kind. I really appreciate your help.

Sure, I don't mind.

1. How do I draw a cardioid curve?

To draw a cardioid curve, start by drawing a circle. Then, draw a point on the circumference of the circle and use a compass to draw a smaller circle with the same center as the first circle. Finally, connect the two circles with a straight line and erase any unnecessary lines to create the cardioid curve.

2. What is a lemniscate curve and how do I draw it?

A lemniscate curve is a figure eight-shaped curve. To draw it, start by drawing two circles with the same center. Then, draw a line that connects the top of one circle to the bottom of the other. Next, draw a line from the bottom of the first circle to the top of the second circle. Finally, erase any unnecessary lines to create the lemniscate curve.

3. How do I draw a devil's curve?

To draw a devil's curve, start by drawing two circles with the same center. Then, draw a line from the top of one circle to the bottom of the other. Next, draw a line from the bottom of the first circle to the top of the second circle. Finally, draw a curve that connects the two lines to create the devil's curve.

4. What tools do I need to draw curves accurately?

To draw curves accurately, you will need a compass, ruler, and pencil. The compass will help you draw precise circles, while the ruler will help you draw straight lines. It is also helpful to have an eraser on hand to make any necessary corrections.

5. Are there any tips for drawing curves neatly?

Yes, there are a few tips for drawing curves neatly. First, make sure to use a sharp pencil to draw your curves. This will help create clean lines. Additionally, take your time and use light strokes when drawing the curves. This will make it easier to erase any mistakes or make adjustments. Finally, practice makes perfect, so keep practicing drawing curves to improve your skills.