How to express the domain of y = √cos x in mathematical notation

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Calixto
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
What would the domain of y = sqrt(cosx) be in mathematical terms. I know that it is all the reals that lie in the first and fourth quadrant of the unit circle, but how would you express that in mathematical terms?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Something like
[tex]D=\{x|x\in[\frac{(4n-1)\pi}{2},\frac{(4n+1)\pi}{2}]\}[/tex]
where n is any integer
 
You first need to define the domain of x.
If x is +60 for example then cos(x)>0 but if it is -60, then it is <0. sqrt of that is an imaginary number which is not defined.

So basically for x>0 domain is (0,1)

I would like to know how Calixto got his answer as I may be wrong.