How to find an internship through university staff?

In summary: DAAD is a government funded organization that sends students abroad for research projects. They have a website where you can find out about the projects and how to apply.In summary, the person is looking for advice on how to find an internship or training in the summer and is unsure of how to proceed. They have tried to find internships abroad, but many have been canceled due to the pandemic, and have had some applications rejected. They have been told about DAAD, a government funded organization that sends students abroad for research projects.
Phylosopher
Hello everyone,I would like your advice on the matter of internships... Usually every year, no matter the situation, I apply for internships/training for the summer... Sometimes I succeed in finding one and sometimes I fail. It became a habit to always search for internships (Hopefully a good habit)

I used to study in my home country where research is "non-existing", that's why I was always seeking internships abroad. But now I am doing my masters degree in Germany, where the university is research "heavy"! It is my first semester, I basically know no one. Also, during this pandemic, all the courses are made online leaving no room for human-human interaction and therefore I find it hard to stand out among my fellow students during class; it might seem silly, but it is hard to convince someone to think about giving a student an internship if he does not even remember his face or his name, let alone impressed him.

I tried to apply abroad for internships, but most of these internships were canceled due to the pandemic and some of my applications were simply rejected. Therefore, my only way to get an internship/training or something similar would be directly by the staff which I barely know.

What would you suggest for me to do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Contact your closest profs and ask them to ask around. They should know you well enough to help. An intern is like getting a talented worker for cheap and if you have the talent there will be someone interested in hiring you on an internship.

I'm from the US, but before I went to the UK I asked one of my mentors, a professor at the university, if they knew anyone or any programs. They told me of someone they spoke to just once at a IEEE conference while they traveling, and so I sent an e-mail to that person telling them how I stumbled upon their name. They confessed they couldn't remember my mentor, but we briefly met when I arrived and they learned I had acceptable skills for what they were working on. They offered me something and it was a great experience.

A few people have told me about DAAD in Germany.

1. How do I approach university staff for internship opportunities?

The best way to approach university staff for internship opportunities is to first identify the department or faculty that aligns with your field of study or career interests. Then, reach out to the career services office or department head to inquire about any available internships. It's also helpful to have a polished resume and cover letter to submit along with your inquiry.

2. What types of internships can I find through university staff?

There are a variety of internships that can be found through university staff, including research internships, industry internships, and non-profit internships. These opportunities can be in various fields such as science, technology, business, and more.

3. Is it necessary to have a high GPA to secure an internship through university staff?

While having a high GPA can certainly be beneficial, it is not always necessary to secure an internship through university staff. Many internships also consider other factors such as relevant coursework, extracurricular activities, and previous experience.

4. Can I receive academic credit for an internship found through university staff?

Yes, many universities offer academic credit for internships found through university staff. However, it is important to check with your academic advisor or career services office to determine the specific requirements and process for receiving credit.

5. How can I make the most out of my internship experience through university staff?

To make the most out of your internship experience, it's important to communicate your goals and expectations with your supervisor and actively seek out learning opportunities. Additionally, networking with professionals in your field and reflecting on your experiences can also enhance your internship experience.