How to Find Equilibrium Pressures for NO₂ and N₂O₄ at 298 K?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Youngster
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Equilibrium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Youngster
Messages
37
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



For the reaction

2 NO[itex]_{2}[/itex](g) [itex]\leftrightarrow[/itex] N[itex]_{2}[/itex]O[itex]_{4}[/itex](g)

ΔH°[itex]_{rxn}[/itex] = -57.2 kJ and ΔS°[itex]_{rxn}[/itex] = -175.8 [itex]J/K[/itex]

A 1 L container is initially filled with 1 atm of NO[itex]_{2}[/itex] at 298 K. Find the equilibrium pressures of NO[itex]_{2}[/itex] and N[itex]_{2}[/itex]O[itex]_{4}[/itex] at 298 K if

a. volume is held constant

b. pressure is held constant

Homework Equations



dG = VdP - SdT

The Attempt at a Solution



So using the fundamental thermodynamic equation above, I found that ΔG = -4811.6 J. SdT goes to zero since the temperature doesn't appear to change. VdP can be substituted withdH -TdS, with all three values available in the problem.

So using the following relation between K[itex]_{eq}[/itex] and free energy:

ΔG°[itex]_{rxn}[/itex] = -RTln(K[itex]_{eq}[/itex])

Solving for K[itex]_{eq}[/itex], I obtain 6.973

So from this point, how do I calculate the partial pressures of NO[itex]_{2}[/itex] and N[itex]_{2}[/itex]O[itex]_{4}[/itex]? Can I stop at 6.973?

As for the second question, I find that if pressure is held constant, the equilibrium constant is just 1, since ΔG[itex]_{rxn}[/itex] goes to zero.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
How is the equilibrium constant expressed in terms of the partial pressures of NO2 and N2O4? Also note that the standard heat of reaction and standard entropy change of reaction are evaluated at constant pressure (1 atm), not constant volume. So the problem you have been working on is really problem 2. You have yet to address problem 1.