Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find error between non-linear plot and data points?

  1. Feb 21, 2013 #1
    Is there a formal way to measure the error between some arbitrary points and a non-linear curve in order to minimize it?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2013 #2

    Simon Bridge

    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

    The short answer is "yes".
    You can regress to a curve in many ways... least-squares is popular.
    What's best depends on the curve and what you want to know.
    I'm guessing you already know how to regress to a line?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook