How to find group types for a particular order?

• Thread starter jackmell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Group
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of determining group types for a particular order, using the example of the alternating group A5 and the table of small groups provided by Wikipedia. The conversation also touches on the classification of non-abelian groups and the use of Sylow subgroups to classify small groups. The conversation ends with a thank you to mathwonk for providing useful notes on the topic and GAP for further assistance.
jackmell
Hi,

How do we determine the group types for a particular order? I know the example of using the Cayley table to show there are only two types of groups of order 4 but do not know how to determine this for other groups. For example, suppose I wanted to show there is a group of order 10 in the alternating group ##A_5##. Now, according to Wikipedia, this group must be cyclic or dihedral. Wikipedia lists a table of small groups:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_small_groups

How do we determine this?

Here's what I have so far:

(1) If the group order is prime then it must be a cyclic group. Therefore, there are no non-abelian groups with prime order.

(2) Let G be a finite Abelian group. Then G is isomorphic to a product of groups of the form ##H_p = Z/p^{e1}Z×···×Z/p^{en}Z##, in which ##p## is a prime number and ##1\leq e1 \leq···\leq en## are positive integers

not real clear on #2 but let's assume I got that. So that leaves non-abelian groups. Take for example a group of size 6. How do I conclude that the only non-abelian group of order 6 is ##D_6## and all other non-abelian groups with that size are isomorphic to ##D_6##?

Then take for example a non-abelian group of size ##8##. Well ##D_8## and ##Q## (quaternions) are of that size. So then any other are isomorphic to those two. How would I prove this? That no matter what kind of non-abelian group of size 8 I could invent, it must be isomorphic to these two.

(3) Let G by a group of order 2p with p a prime number, then G is either cyclic or isomorphic to ##D_p##. (need to review this proof I think). Ok, then that answers my question for the case of ##|G|=10##.

Guess I should know these already.

What about when it's not 2p though, say for 12? Well, one of them is dihedral, ##D_{12}##. Is that the only non-abelian group of size 12?. I think there is a dicyclic also however. Certainly exists a cyclic group ##C_{12}## also. But there is also a product one ##Z_6\times Z_2##. But then why isn't there a ##Z_3\times Z_4## then? Maybe they're isomorphic. Need to check.

There is a ##Z_3\times Z_4##. Also not hard to show ##Z_{10}\cong Z_5\times Z_2##. Same dif for ##Z_{12}\cong Z_3\times Z_4##. However, ##Z_6\times Z_2 \ncong Z_3\times Z_4## (try coming up with an isomorphism) and so therefore ##Z_{12}\ncong Z_6\times Z_2##.

I think I'm getting it guys.

Thanks,
Jack

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You might consult pages 37-50 of these notes, in the section on "using sylow to classify small groups".

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/~roy/843-1.pdf

Likes jackmell
mathwonk said:
You might consult pages 37-50 of these notes, in the section on "using sylow to classify small groups".

http://alpha.math.uga.edu/~roy/843-1.pdf

Thanks mathwonk. That's very informative and I'm sure I'll use it while I'm studying abstract algebra. For example, just briefly running though it I noticed it had a very good summary of the various generators for the symmetric group including the one I had worked on recently here and elsewhere about when ##n## is a prime ##p## than any transposition and any ##p##-cycle generates the group. I'm also finding GAP very useful in that regards (thanks to micromass).

Jack

1. How do I determine the group type for a specific order?

The group type for a particular order can be determined by looking at the characteristics of the items in the order. This includes the size, shape, material, and function of the items. Using this information, you can identify the appropriate group type for the order.

2. What are the different group types that can be assigned to an order?

There are various group types that can be assigned to an order, such as numerical, alphabetical, categorical, and chronological. These group types are based on the characteristics of the items in the order and help to organize and categorize them.

3. Does the group type for an order affect its organization?

Yes, the group type for an order plays a crucial role in its organization. It helps to group similar items together, making it easier to locate and access them. The group type also determines the order in which the items are organized, such as ascending or descending.

4. Can the group type for an order be changed?

Yes, the group type for an order can be changed depending on the needs and requirements of the researcher. However, it is essential to carefully consider the characteristics of the items in the order before changing the group type to ensure efficient organization.

5. Are there any tools or techniques to help determine the appropriate group type for an order?

Yes, there are various tools and techniques that can help determine the appropriate group type for an order. These include statistical analysis, data visualization, and various software programs designed for data organization. It is recommended to use a combination of these tools and techniques for accurate and efficient determination of group types.