1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to find integrated peaks on NMR graphs

1. Apr 14, 2010 #1
    Hi all,

I am currently self studying a chapter on Modern Analytical Chemistry. One part talks about interpreting NMR graphs and I understand the basic gist of it, however, I don't understand how to find the integrated peaks. I've looked extensively online and I now understand that you have to measure the peaks to find the ratio. BUT, how do you know where to start and stop measuring?

An example is http://www.wfu.edu/~ylwong/chem/nmr/h1/integration.html" [Broken], if you were to click on the animated flash explanation, they show how it's done, but I don't understand how they came up with where to start and stop the measurement of the peaks.

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2010 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If the peaks are baseline resolved, the integration begins where the deviation from the baseline into the peak begins. If peaks are not baseline resolved, a midpoint between adjacent peaks is used. It isn't exact, BTW, but it gets you close.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook