How to find the aceleración and the rope forcé Fs?

In summary, the student attempted to solve a problem involving two masses connected by a string and found an incorrect value for the acceleration. They used the formula Fs = Fg1 +Fg2 + Ft1 + Ft2 and assumed the acceleration to be equal to (F1+F2)/m. However, they did not define the forces being summed and did not draw a Free Body Diagram. It is recommended to define a tension variable and consider the forces and acceleration of each mass separately to solve this type of problem.
neon495
<< Note -- formatting fixed up by a Mentor >>

1. Homework Statement

Please see the attached image for the problem statement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I uses the formula
Fs = Fg1 +Fg2 + Ft1 + Ft2
I asumed the acceleration is equal to (F1+F2)/ m
(4,9+19,6)/3 = 4,9ms^-2

but I am not Sure if this is correct

Attachments

• 97EE4239-C03D-4DD3-B692-523BFF574047.jpeg
    97EE4239-C03D-4DD3-B692-523BFF574047.jpeg
    33.4 KB · Views: 350
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
neon495 said:
I uses the formula
Fs = Fg1 +Fg2 + Ft1 + Ft2
I asumed the acceleration is equal to (F1+F2)/ m
(4,9+19,6)/3 = 4,9ms^-2

but I am not Sure if this is correct
No, it's not correct.

I don't see where you've defined any of the forces that you are summing. What are F1 and F2 in your acceleration expression (which does not look correct to me)? You should always define your variables clearly to avoid confusion of others trying to interpret your work.

Did you start by drawing Free Body Diagrams for both blocks? This is a must for these kinds of problems.

neon495 said:
not Sure if this is correct
As gneill posted, it is wrong.
To avoid confusing yourself, it is safer to create an unknown T for the tension then consider the forces and acceleration of each mass separately. When you have those equations you can combine them to eliminate T.

1. How do you calculate acceleration?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What units are used to measure acceleration?

The SI unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). Other commonly used units include kilometers per hour squared (km/h²) and feet per second squared (ft/s²).

3. How do you find the force applied to a rope?

The force applied to a rope can be calculated using the formula Fs = ma, where Fs is the force, m is the mass of the object being pulled, and a is the acceleration of the object.

4. What is the difference between acceleration and force?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity, while force is a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate. Acceleration is a measure of how fast an object is changing its velocity, while force is a measure of the strength of the push or pull acting on an object.

5. How does mass affect acceleration and force?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that as the mass of an object increases, its acceleration decreases, and vice versa. The same concept applies to force – the greater the mass, the greater the force needed to accelerate the object.