How to find the ground state of He atom

In summary, the ground state of a He atom is the lowest energy state that the atom can occupy, and it can be determined by solving the Schrödinger equation. This state is significant because it is the most stable and commonly observed state, and any changes in energy level will involve transitioning from the ground state. The ground state can change through interactions with other particles, but it will always be the lowest energy state. The ground state also affects the atom's chemical properties by determining its electron configuration and influencing its interactions with other particles.
coki2000
Hello PF members,

I am trying to solve for helium atom ground state by using perturbation theory. It is very easy to calculate the first order correction of ground state energy but I have no idea for how to find its wave function.

I have tried to use the first order correction formula for wave functions in Griffiths' book but it is very hard to take those integrals since it includes very complicated terms like spherical harmonics and Laguerre polynomials etc.

Can anyone help me please?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
See in Schiff L.I. "Quantum mechamics"

1. What is the ground state of a He atom?

The ground state of a He atom is the lowest energy state that the atom can occupy. It is the most stable and most commonly observed state of the atom.

2. How do you determine the ground state of a He atom?

The ground state of a He atom can be determined by solving the Schrödinger equation, which is a mathematical equation that describes the behavior of quantum particles. This involves finding the wave function of the atom and calculating its energy, and the lowest energy state will be the ground state.

3. What is the significance of the ground state of a He atom?

The ground state of a He atom is significant because it is the state that the atom will naturally occupy. This means that any changes or transitions in the energy level of the atom will involve moving from the ground state to a higher energy state.

4. Can the ground state of a He atom change?

Yes, the ground state of a He atom can change if the atom absorbs or releases energy. This can happen through interactions with other atoms, photons, or external stimuli. However, the ground state will always be the lowest energy state that the atom can occupy.

5. How does the ground state of a He atom affect its chemical properties?

The ground state of a He atom affects its chemical properties because it determines the electron configuration of the atom. This, in turn, influences how the atom will interact with other atoms and molecules, and therefore plays a crucial role in determining its chemical properties.