How to get the atomic weight of O 16g/mole to amu?

In summary: O = 16 amu . Perhaps one of your main problems is that you have an error when you write"1 amu = 1/ Avogadro's number"This is incorrect! 1 amu = 1 gram/Avogadro's Number, approximately 1.6 x 10-24 grams. With this in mind, I replay the last option.Write your equation more carefully (replacing "=" by "has the mass")The mass per 1 atom of O = 16 grams/mole = 16 amu = 16*(1.6 x 10-24 grams) = 2.56 x
HCverma

Homework Statement

How to get the atomic weight of O atom 16g/mole to amu?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

As I know, 1 mole of O atoms = 16g
6.023 x 10^23 O atoms = 16g
So, 1 O atom = 16 x 1/6.023 x 10^23
1 atom of O = 16 amu [1 amu = 1/ Avogadro's number]
But I am confused about the units here. How is it possible 16g to 16 amu?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, your use of "=" is a bit loose. For example, a mole of oxygen atoms does not "equal" 16 grams, a mole of oxygen atoms "weighs" 16 grams. The same for the other entries.
That technicality aside, your solution is correct, but if you write down your units a bit more carefully, the confusion should go away.
That is, your equation is
16 amu / oxygen atom = 16 grams / mole of oxygen atoms.
Let me be lazy and write N for Avogadro's Number
Then you can either multiply the left hand side times N/N, and since N*amu = gram, and N* atom = mole of atoms, then
16 grams / mole of oxygen atoms = 16 grams / mole of oxygen atoms.
Equivalently, multiply the right-hand side of
16 amu / oxygen atom = 16 grams / mole of oxygen atoms
times ((1/N)/(1/N)) to get
16 amu / oxygen atom =16 amu / oxygen atom
A third way, still equivalent to the other two, is to convert the mole to atoms, and divide.
Hopefully this clears things up. If not, ask some more, being more precise about your confusion.

Then you can either multiply the left hand side times N/N, and since N*amu = gram, and N* atom = mole of atoms, then
A third way, still equivalent to the other two, is to convert the mole to atoms, and divide.
Hopefully this clears things up. If not, ask some more, being more precise about your confusion.
Still, I don't understand the steps above. Could you get it a little bit easier, please?

OK, in the absence of your responding to my request to indicate what the precise difficulty is, I will start from the assumption that you do not understand the "equation" 1 atom of O = 16 amu . Perhaps one of your main problems is that you have an error when you write
"1 amu = 1/ Avogadro's number"
This is incorrect! 1 amu = 1 gram/Avogadro's Number, approximately 1.6 x 10-24 grams.
With this in mind, I replay the last option.
Write your equation more carefully (replacing "=" by "has the mass")
The mass per 1 atom of O = 16 grams/mole = 16 amu = 16*(1.6 x 10-24 grams) = 2.56 x 10-23
Convert "mole" to Avogadro's Number, and make explicit that the units involved in the mole are oxygen atoms, and you have
16 grams/(6 x 10-23 oxygen atoms) = 2.56 x 10-23 grams/ Oxygen atom
which works out.
Does this help?

Likes HCverma
nomadreid said:
OK, in the absence of your responding to my request to indicate what the precise difficulty is, I will start from the assumption that you do not understand the "equation" 1 atom of O = 16 amu . Perhaps one of your main problems is that you have an error when you write
"1 amu = 1/ Avogadro's number"
This is incorrect! 1 amu = 1 gram/Avogadro's Number, approximately 1.6 x 10-24 grams.
With this in mind, I replay the last option.
Write your equation more carefully (replacing "=" by "has the mass")
The mass per 1 atom of O = 16 grams/mole = 16 amu = 16*(1.6 x 10-24 grams) = 2.56 x 10-23
Convert "mole" to Avogadro's Number, and make explicit that the units involved in the mole are oxygen atoms, and you have
16 grams/(6 x 10-23 oxygen atoms) = 2.56 x 10-23 grams/ Oxygen atom
which works out.
Does this help?
Yes, Still I don't understand steps of how to get the mass of O atom 16g/mole to 16 amu?

Please let me know which of the steps I put in my last post you do not understand.

16 amu / oxygen atom = 16 grams / mole of oxygen atoms.
Let me be lazy and write N for Avogadro's Number
[/QUOTE]
I don't understand the steps above.

HCverma said:
I don't understand the steps above.
Which specific step? We can’t help you if you can’t tell us what is the problem.

Dale said:
Which specific step? We can’t help you if you can’t tell us what is the problem.
In the thread #2

You were asked several times to explain which which part of the whole post containing multiple steps is a problem. Just by repeating "I don't understand" and not explaining which part stops you from following the line of reasoning won't get us far.

I am sorry @HCverma. We cannot help you if you refuse to clarify.

This thread is closed, so that the homework helpers can focus their efforts on people willing to do the necessary work.

Likes davenn

1. How is the atomic weight of O 16g/mole converted to amu?

The atomic weight of O 16g/mole is converted to amu by dividing the mass in grams by Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) to get the molar mass in grams per mole. Then, this molar mass is divided by the mass of one amu (1.66054 x 10^-24 grams) to get the atomic weight in amu.

2. Why is the atomic weight of O 16g/mole used as a standard for converting to amu?

The atomic weight of O 16g/mole is used as a standard because it is the most abundant isotope of oxygen and has a whole number atomic mass. This makes it a convenient reference point for comparing the atomic weights of other elements.

3. Is the atomic weight of O 16g/mole the same as the mass number of oxygen?

No, the atomic weight of O 16g/mole is not the same as the mass number of oxygen. The atomic weight takes into account the abundance of all isotopes of oxygen, while the mass number only represents the number of protons and neutrons in the most common isotope, oxygen-16.

4. What is the significance of the atomic weight of O 16g/mole in chemistry?

The atomic weight of O 16g/mole is significant in chemistry because it is used to calculate the molar mass of compounds. This is important in determining the stoichiometry of chemical reactions and in performing accurate measurements and calculations in the laboratory.

5. How does the atomic weight of O 16g/mole affect the properties of oxygen?

The atomic weight of O 16g/mole does not directly affect the properties of oxygen. However, the atomic weight does play a role in determining the isotopic composition of oxygen and therefore can have an indirect impact on certain properties, such as boiling point and density.