How to improve problem solving skills

In summary, the key to improving problem-solving skills in physics is to practice solving problems and develop strategies such as writing down what is known, identifying and discarding irrelevant information, using symmetries and conservation laws, and doing sanity checks on the results. It may also be helpful to write down variables and equations and consider extreme cases to better understand the effects of minor factors. Additionally, drawing a free body diagram can be a useful tool.
Galactium
Hello, I'm new here so forgive me for my ignorance. I am currently a freshman majoring in Physics. I am having trouble trying to understand the concepts in my physics class. In high school I took precalculus and regular physics. My physics teacher was good, but had some trouble expressing his steps and ideas which confused me a bit. He would literally tell us to plug in the numbers. Whereas my current physics class we have to use critical thinking skills to full understand the material. I have never been trained to think outside of the box so my problem solving skills are extremely lousy. Somethings that I have tried doing was to read my physics book go online for tutorials and do some basic problems then build my way up to the harder ones. I always go to both my professor's and TA office hours to get more out of the Learning experience. However, most of these things aren't helping. I am starting to think that physics may not be suitable for me due to my skills. I also downloaded a few apps on my phone to help me, but most of them don't offer that much information. Any suggestions/recommendation I should do in order to improve my skills?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Some general advice, worth what you paid for it...

The way to get good at solving problems is to solve problems.

One approach is to start by writing down what you know. And think about what other things you can determine based on what you know. Then write down what you are trying to find out. And think of other bits of information that would help you find that result if you knew them. This might be called a "meet in the middle" strategy.

Another handy skill is the ability to identify and discard extraneous information. The more irrelevant tidbits are cluttering your mind when you are working a problem, the harder it is to keep track of the pieces that matter.

Another helpful tool to cracking problems is to look for symmetries and conservation laws. If you know that a quantity is conserved then you can ignore huge swaths of irrelevant information and jump straight from an initial condition where the quantity has a known value to a final condition where that quantity must still have that same value. For example, potential energy at the top of a hill and kinetic energy at the bottom if the problem indicates that friction is absent. [I am having a hard time thinking of a good example where an argument from symmetry works]

For some people, writing down names for all the variables and writing down equations to express all the givens of the problem works well. They can then proceed to solve the resulting system of equations with algebra to deduce the final result. If you are working problems where your physical intuition fails (and all of us get there, eventually), this method may end up being the only way to proceed.

Edit to add: Get in the habit of doing sanity checks on your work. Do your answers make sense? Do they have the right units? Are they unreasonably large or small? If you plug an answer back into the corresponding question, does it meet the requirements? If you calculate the result one way, does it match with the result calculated a different way?

If a problem is totally kicking your butt, turn it around. Try to prove that the result you are after cannot be determined by the inputs that are given. Try to find some other way that you might change the output without altering the fixed inputs.

[Most of these things work just as well for doing mathematical proofs as for working physics story problems]

When thinking about the difference that minor effects have, a useful approach can be to consider what would happen if those effects were extreme e.g. If I increased the force by a factor of 10000, what would happen? This can be helpful when deciding whether a formula should be directly proportional, inversely proportional, proportional to the square root, etc.

Oh, you did draw a free body diagram, right?

Last edited:
Likes fresh_42 and Galactium

1. What are some strategies for improving problem solving skills?

Some strategies for improving problem solving skills include breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable parts, practicing regularly, using a variety of techniques such as brainstorming and mind mapping, and seeking input and feedback from others.

2. How can I become a better critical thinker?

To become a better critical thinker, you can focus on gathering and analyzing information from multiple sources, considering different perspectives and viewpoints, questioning assumptions and biases, and making logical and well-supported conclusions.

3. What role does creativity play in problem solving?

Creativity is an important aspect of problem solving as it allows for the generation of new and innovative solutions. It involves thinking outside the box, making connections between seemingly unrelated ideas, and being open to new possibilities.

4. How can I apply problem solving skills in real-life situations?

To apply problem solving skills in real-life situations, you can start by identifying the problem, gathering relevant information, considering potential solutions, and evaluating the pros and cons of each option. It can also be helpful to seek input from others and to approach the problem with a positive and open-minded attitude.

5. Is problem solving a skill that can be learned or is it innate?

While some individuals may have a natural inclination towards problem solving, it is a skill that can be learned and improved upon with practice and effort. By utilizing different strategies and techniques, anyone can develop their problem solving abilities and become a more effective critical thinker.