Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I cannot solve physics problems without solution help

Tags:
  1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    Hi, I have some basic problem with solving physics problems. I cannot solve the quantum or statistical problems without help or by myself. sometimes the problem is that I don't even get what to start with. I am in my undergrad last year now. do you have any suggestion how to improve my problem solving skill?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2
    Have you tried repeating the same question at a later time? If not then maybe repeat the question after a hour, if you get it right try it the next day, if you get it right again try it after two etc. You should notice that the questions tend to follow a similar pattern, especially in final year undergrad courses, as there's only a finite number of systems that can be solved on a reasonable timescale without a computer.

4. Nov 25, 2014 #3
    Hi, I can do it well when I approach the same problem next time, I just have problem with the first time, like when i face a problem , I just dont know how to start it, as soon I see the solution I can do it. How can I know how to initialize the solving ?

5. Nov 25, 2014 #4
    Have you tried sharing ideas with your peers on approaching a problem? Often times you come up with good ideas just bouncing thoughts off one another.

6. Nov 25, 2014 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

How far back do you have to go before you can solve the problems on your own?

7. Nov 25, 2014 #6
    well I am pretty good with classical mechanics, I think everybody is, but I suck at quantum mechanics, my peers are not very intuitive though

8. Nov 26, 2014 #7

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

So there are NO QM problems you can do without looking at the solutions?

9. Nov 26, 2014 #8
  10. Nov 26, 2014 #9

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Then you somehow managed to get through QM without learning it. I don't know what to say - other than if you put the same effort into QM that you do towards crafting insightful and elucidating posts ("nah") that this may not be surprising.

11. Nov 26, 2014 #10
    Try not cheating your way through life and maybe you won't be so bad at physics...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook