How to keep a hand in physics after leaving

In summary, the person is a PhD graduate who has settled into an IT job outside of their field of physics. They are looking for ways to continue using their physics knowledge and have contacted former collaborators, but have not had much success due to being perceived as only "dabbling." One person suggests that having a specific contribution to offer may increase their chances of finding an outlet for their physics knowledge.
ParticleGrl
So I finished a phd a few years back, and I've finally settled into a stable job that's pretty far outside the field (data mining for an insurance company), so I'm brainstorming for ways to keep a hand in physics while working outside.

I've contacted former collaborators about potentially doing some research on the side, but the common response seems to be that they don't have time to spend with people who can only "dabble" (and I don't blame them). Does anyone have experience finding an outlet for some of their physics knowledge post-phd?

Physics news on Phys.org
After my studies I also landed in an IT job.
I'm not post-phd, but my math/physics outlet is here on PF. :smile:

I'm an experimenter, but have published a few theory papers. So in a sense I "dabble" too - so why have I had better luck? I think the answer is that in every case I brought something specific to the table: insights that suggested a better way to calculate something, even if the actual calculation was beyond me. I think your approach to your potential collaborators has to clearly express what you are bringing to the table, beyond just keeping a hand in it.

1. How can I stay updated on advancements in physics after leaving the field?

One way to stay updated is to attend conferences and workshops in physics. These events allow you to network with other scientists and learn about the latest research and developments in the field. You can also subscribe to scientific journals and read articles online to stay informed.

2. Is it possible to continue conducting research in physics after leaving academia?

Yes, there are various opportunities for conducting research outside of academia. You can join a research and development company, work for a government research agency, or collaborate with other scientists on independent projects. Additionally, many universities offer research positions to non-academic scientists.

3. How can I maintain my technical skills in physics after leaving the field?

One way to maintain your skills is by staying connected with other physicists. Attend seminars, workshops, and conferences to engage in discussions and learn new techniques. You can also continue to read textbooks and attend online courses to stay updated on the latest theories and methods.

4. Are there any online resources for staying connected with the physics community?

Yes, there are many online resources available for staying connected with the physics community. You can join online forums and discussion groups, follow influential physicists on social media, and participate in virtual events and webinars. These platforms allow you to network with other scientists and stay updated on the latest news and developments in the field.

5. Can I still contribute to the advancement of physics after leaving the field?

Absolutely! There are many ways to contribute to the advancement of physics outside of academia. You can mentor and guide young scientists, write popular science articles or books, and even volunteer to assist with research projects. Your knowledge and expertise are valuable assets to the scientific community, and there are plenty of opportunities to share and utilize them.