1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to keep a hand in physics after leaving

1. Sep 11, 2012 #1
    So I finished a phd a few years back, and I've finally settled into a stable job thats pretty far outside the field (data mining for an insurance company), so I'm brainstorming for ways to keep a hand in physics while working outside.

I've contacted former collaborators about potentially doing some research on the side, but the common response seems to be that they don't have time to spend with people who can only "dabble" (and I don't blame them). Does anyone have experience finding an outlet for some of their physics knowledge post-phd?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 11, 2012 #2

I like Serena

Homework Helper

After my studies I also landed in an IT job.
    I'm not post-phd, but my math/physics outlet is here on PF. :smile:

4. Sep 11, 2012 #3

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm an experimenter, but have published a few theory papers. So in a sense I "dabble" too - so why have I had better luck? I think the answer is that in every case I brought something specific to the table: insights that suggested a better way to calculate something, even if the actual calculation was beyond me. I think your approach to your potential collaborators has to clearly express what you are bringing to the table, beyond just keeping a hand in it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook