1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to learn Landau-Lifshitz-Gilbert equation

1. Jun 19, 2012 #1
    Hi,

I need to learn Landau-Lifgarbagez-Gilbert equation for one project. So I'm wondering how much stuff I need to know before being able to understand this equation. I have taken a standard upper-level undergraduate electrodynamics. (We finished Griffith). Unfortunately, I haven't taken any statistical mechanics.

Can anyone tell me what is the most efficient way to learn Landau-Lifgarbagez-Gilbert equation from what I know? Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 19, 2012 #2
    I don't have an in-depth knowledge of the LLG equation but I did learn it for my numerical micro-magnetic research. I had to solve the LLG equation numerically.

I think it's a simple equation provided that you start with Landau-Lifgarbagez equation first rather than Landau-Lifgarbagez -Gilbert and assume zero damping parameter, and derive the response of a single spin magnetic moment to an applied field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook