How to Measure Height of Clouds with Binoculars, Camera, etc.

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter pixel01
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Height
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
pixel01
Messages
688
Reaction score
1
Hi all

Clouds can be very high or quite low and we all just guess. How can we roughly identify the height of a cloud by using binoculars, camera or anything?

Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you know the winds-aloft speed, you can measure the angular movement against that.
 
Pilots usually gauge cloud height by their morphology. In other words, certain cloud shapes generally occupy specific altitudes.

- Warren
 
I have heard somewhere they can approx. the cloud's height by its color, but I am not sure. Does anyone know this?
 
pixel01 said:
I have heard somewhere they can approx. the cloud's height by its color, but I am not sure. Does anyone know this?

I can't imagine this is possible. Your eye is too subjective an instrument to be of much use in accurately measuring color. I can tell you that, as a pilot, we do not consider color at all.

- Warren