How to know the shape of a specific location on Earth?

In summary: The urgency is because the satellite can only collect data for a certain amount of time before it has to turn back around.
ecastro
How do you know the shape (land altitude, roughness, etc.) of a specific location on Earth through a satellite? For example, if a specific place is covered by clouds is there a way to know the shape of the ground at this specific point?

I have read through the absorption spectra of the atmospheric gases, and microwave passes all through them. If that is the case, then the satellite should just have a filter for microwave and the shape can be known?

Physics news on Phys.org
ecastro said:
How do you know the shape (land altitude, roughness, etc.) of a specific location on Earth through a satellite? For example, if a specific place is covered by clouds is there a way to know the shape of the ground at this specific point?

Maps are made. If the satellite can't see a particular location, it just waits until it can.

ecastro said:
I have read through the absorption spectra of the atmospheric gases, and microwave passes all through them. If that is the case, then the satellite should just have a filter for microwave and the shape can be known?

Since the Earth does not naturally give off any significant amount of microwave radiation, I'm not sure how effective this would be unless you use microwave radar on the satellites. I don't know if this technique is used or not.

Some satellite are able to produce topographic maps, which means it will lay out a map that will tell you how "tall" the mountain is relative to other spots around it. If you have taking multi-variable calculus, it is kind of like a conic section.

Drakkith said:
Since the Earth does not naturally give off any significant amount of microwave radiation, I'm not sure how effective this would be unless you use microwave radar on the satellites. I don't know if this technique is used or not.

If the satellite were to provide the radiation, will it work? How accurate will it be?

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
Some satellite are able to produce topographic maps, which means it will lay out a map that will tell you how "tall" the mountain is relative to other spots around it. If you have taking multi-variable calculus, it is kind of like a conic section.

How do these satellites produce the maps?

ecastro said:
If the satellite were to provide the radiation, will it work? How accurate will it be?

I'm almost certain it's regularly used, but I don't know the details.
Try here and see if it helps: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remote_sensing

Thanks. I did read on articles and it seems it is used, although they focus more on ocean and sea characteristics. I'm just not sure if their method is applicable on land topography.

Anyway, is there a way to know the Earth's surface based upon the reflected radiation of the Earth from the Sun? I'm concerned that the outgoing radiation will be absorbed by the atmospheric gases and not reach the satellite.

ecastro said:
How do these satellites produce the maps?

Depending on the time it takes for a wave to hit the surface of the Earth then back at a satellite, one can tell the distance it is. If it takes longer then it means that the spot is steeper, but if it takes less time then it is higher at that point. Does that make sense?

ecastro said:
Anyway, is there a way to know the Earth's surface based upon the reflected radiation of the Earth from the Sun? I'm concerned that the outgoing radiation will be absorbed by the atmospheric gases and not reach the satellite.
If you're looking for geographic features, such as altitude and roughness (which is simply fine-resolutioned altitude), then any radiation that can penetrate cloud cover will be visible. Presumably, radar would work very well.

But why the urgency to pierce a cloud that will be gone by tomorrow? Why not simply do multiple passes with the satellite on multiple days?

What is the application here?

Likes davenn
They use Radar on spacecraft orbiting Mars. Not just so they can see through cloud but so they can see what's below ground as well.

RaulTheUCSCSlug said:
Depending on the time it takes for a wave to hit the surface of the Earth then back at a satellite, one can tell the distance it is. If it takes longer then it means that the spot is steeper, but if it takes less time then it is higher at that point. Does that make sense?

There is an equation for this, right? Although, since the satellite will be orbiting hundreds of kilometers from the Earth surface, how much precision is needed?

DaveC426913 said:
If you're looking for geographic features, such as altitude and roughness (which is simply fine-resolutioned altitude), then any radiation that can penetrate cloud cover will be visible. Presumably, radar would work very well.

But why the urgency to pierce a cloud that will be gone by tomorrow? Why not simply do multiple passes with the satellite on multiple days?

What is the application here?

That is a simple solution. I'm just concerned what if a certain location has high density and frequency of clouds. And at what frequencies that these radars work from?

ecastro said:
I'm just concerned what if a certain location has high density and frequency of clouds. And at what frequencies that these radars work from?

doesn't affect the radar
do some google searching on ground mapping radar

you will find 100's of hits :smile:

Dave

ecastro said:
There is an equation for this, right? Although, since the satellite will be orbiting hundreds of kilometers from the Earth surface, how much precision is needed?

Well you would be surprised on how simple some of the calculations maybe, as with what someone said about the radiation mapping, since there is few things that interfere with the radiation, the calculations would just need the speed of the radiation, and would be fairly precise. At least that is what I would imagine, I have never worked on satellites, and have only done physics problems from my book that work with ideal situations! :oldbiggrin::oldbiggrin::oldbiggrin:

davenn said:
ecastro said:
I'm just concerned what if a certain location has high density and frequency of clouds. And at what frequencies that these radars work from?
doesn't affect the radar

Dave
I am pretty sure ecastro was responding to this part of my question:
DaveC426913 said:
But why the urgency to pierce a cloud that will be gone by tomorrow? Why not simply do multiple passes with the satellite on multiple days? What is the application here?

DaveC426913 said:
I am pretty sure ecastro was responding to this part of my question:

maybe ? :smile:

its irrelevant as the radar will map the ground regardless of cloud cover or not ...
for satellites ( depending on their orbital elements), they don't pass over the same place each day it could be a while before their orbit takes them over the exact same area

Dave

I read an article regarding the precision of the radar measurements. It seems that the radar (at least in the C Band and L Band microwaves) can be affected by humidity.

1. How can I determine the shape of a specific location on Earth?

The shape of a specific location on Earth can be determined by looking at maps or satellite images. These resources provide a visual representation of the terrain and topography of the location, allowing you to see its overall shape.

2. Can I use a compass to determine the shape of a specific location on Earth?

A compass can be a useful tool in determining the shape of a specific location on Earth. By using a compass, you can determine the direction of the location's borders, giving you an idea of its shape.

3. Are there any online tools or resources that can help me determine the shape of a specific location on Earth?

Yes, there are many online tools and resources that can help you determine the shape of a specific location on Earth. Some examples include Google Earth, which provides satellite images and 3D views of locations, and topographic maps available through various websites.

4. How do scientists determine the shape of a specific location on Earth?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the shape of a specific location on Earth. These may include satellite imaging, aerial photography, topographic surveys, and mathematical models.

5. Can the shape of a specific location on Earth change over time?

Yes, the shape of a specific location on Earth can change over time due to natural processes such as erosion, tectonic activity, and sea level rise. Human activities, such as construction and land use changes, can also impact the shape of a location.