Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to mentaly get answers at once when given in powers?

1. Apr 23, 2006 #1
    Is there any method that you can calculate by mentaly and get answers mentaly when a number is given with a power.
    I mean for example say, 3^4 will be equal to 81. This is just a simple one. I mean now if a number is given like 6^12 then is there a method that you can get the answer by mental caculation ?:confused:

Thank you.:smile:
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This seems to more of a problem in brain function than math. Essentially, how adept are you at multiplying large numbers mentally (I am assuming that you have not memorized a table of logs)? For your example, 6^2=36, 36^2=pa, pa^3=pb. If you can do it, more power to you!
  4. Apr 24, 2006 #3
    You can sort of cut corners in the process if you memorize powers of numbers. E.g. 63=216. 64=1296. 65=7776. 66=46656. If you want to do mental calculations of this sort, you can make some sort of tradeoff between what you memorize and what you calculate. I have some of those memorized because I've calculated them several times :P

About 13 years ago a book was written, Dead Reckoning: Calculating Without Instruments, by Ronald W. Doerfler and Ronald E. Doerfler. If you are interested in doing this sort of thing, and more, I'd suggest you take a look at it. Here's the link to it on Amazon.
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?