How to multiply these summations ?

• Thread starter praecox
  • Start date
In summary, the expression \left(\sum_{i=1}^{n}a_ib_i\right)\left(\sum_{i=1}^{k}a_ib_i\right), where n and k are positive integers, can be written as a single sum using the cauchy product. The terms of the new series are the convolution of the original terms. An elementary way to see this is by attaching x^i to each coefficient, grouping them in a single series in powers of x, and then substituting x=1. This is similar to the process used for expanding (1 + x + 3 x^2)(2 + x + x^2).
praecox
Ok. I feel a little dumb for asking, but I'm working on a abstract algebra proof and this has got me stuck:

[itex]\left(\sum_{i=1}^{n}a_ib_i\right)\left(\sum_{i=1}^{k}a_ib_i\right)[/itex] where n,k are some positive integers.

I feel certain that it's not just a sum to n+k or nk, but I could be wrong. any help would be awesome. :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It can be written as a single sum with the cauchy product.
The terms of the new series are the convolution of the original terms.

An elementary way to see it is: attach x^i to each coefficient, then group in a single series in powers of x, then put x=1.
Like you would do for (1 + x + 3 x^2)(2 + x + x^2)= (1+2) + (1*2+1*1)x + (3*2+1*1+1*1)x^2 + ...

1. What are summations and how do they relate to multiplication?

Summations are a mathematical representation of adding a sequence of numbers together. In the context of multiplication, summations are often used to represent repeated addition.

2. Can I use the multiplication property of summations to simplify the process?

Yes, the multiplication property of summations states that the product of two summations is equal to the summation of the product of each term. This can be helpful in simplifying the multiplication of summations.

3. How do I handle different variables in the summations?

If the summations have different variables, they can be multiplied together as long as the variables are independent of each other. If the variables are dependent, then additional steps may be needed to simplify the multiplication.

4. Can I use distributivity to multiply summations?

Yes, the distributive property can be used to multiply summations. This involves distributing the terms from one summation to the terms in the other summation, and then simplifying the resulting summation.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when multiplying summations?

One common mistake is forgetting to use parentheses when distributing terms in a summation. Another mistake is not applying the multiplication property correctly, which can result in incorrect solutions. It is important to carefully follow the rules for multiplying summations to avoid these mistakes.