How to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: I used the wall next to my side door, because I didn't want to damage any inside walls. I wondered about just hitting it on my floor, which is tile throughout the house, but thought it easier, and safer, just to hit the outside wall. Anyway, you've asked an interesting empirical question. We anxiously await the results of your experiment. :smile:
Physics news on Phys.org
I wonder if it depends on the type of wine? Any translations? :)

Zut alors.
close-up-of-an-amazed-young-adult.jpg

ThomasT said:
This seems to be an ingeniously simple application of the laws of physics. But I'm not sure. Have you tried it?

Not yet. Might try it on a cheap bottle of cooking wine sometime if I remember. There's another video on the side where they essentially do the same thing, but instead of using a shoe, use a phonebook and slam the wine on it.

gravenewworld said:
Not yet. Might try it on a cheap bottle of cooking wine sometime if I remember. There's another video on the side where they essentially do the same thing, but instead of using a shoe, use a phonebook and slam the wine on it.
I'll try to remember to try both methods tomorrow. :smile:

tumblr_l4scc5NzPt1qac7jco1_500.jpg

ThomasT said:
I'll try to remember to try both methods tomorrow. :smile:

make a video :)

Greg Bernhardt said:
I wonder if it depends on the type of wine? Any translations? :)

I'd only use white, at least for the first few tries :smile:

Greg Bernhardt said:
make a video :)
I will (sometime this evening probably). Good suggestion.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job.

That's nothing, the real trick is to put your shoes on after you've had a bottle of wine.

gravenewworld said:
Good job.
Thanks. And thanks for posting this thread.

Jimmy Snyder said:
That's nothing, the real trick is to put your shoes on after you've had a bottle of wine.
:smile:

It looks like both Thomas and the OP used a solid surface - vertical, in both cases. But would it have to be vertical? I would think not.

lisab said:
It looks like both Thomas and the OP used a solid surface - vertical, in both cases. But would it have to be vertical? I would think not.
I used the wall next to my side door, because I didn't want to damage any inside walls. I wondered about just hitting it on my floor, which is tile throughout the house, but thought it easier, and safer, just to hit the outside wall. Anyway, you've asked an interesting empirical question. We anxiously await the results of your experiment. :smile:

1. How can I open a wine bottle without a corkscrew?

There are a few different methods you can try to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew. One option is to use a shoe and a solid surface like a wall or countertop. Place the bottom of the bottle inside the shoe and firmly hit the shoe against the surface until the cork starts to come out. Another method is to use a screw and a screwdriver. Insert the screw into the center of the cork and use the screwdriver to slowly pull the cork out. You can also use a knife to carefully pry the cork out in small pieces.

2. Can I use a key to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew?

Yes, you can use a key to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew. Simply insert the key into the side of the cork at an angle and twist it slowly until the cork starts to come out. Be careful not to push the cork into the bottle, as it can be difficult to remove once it's inside.

3. Is it safe to use a knife to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew?

Using a knife to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew can be dangerous and should only be done with caution. If you choose to use a knife, make sure it is sharp and pointed away from your body. Carefully insert the knife into the cork and twist it slowly until the cork starts to come out. However, it is always recommended to use a corkscrew or other safe methods to open a wine bottle.

4. Can I use a pen to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew?

Yes, you can use a pen to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew. Remove the cap and insert the pen into the center of the cork. Use the pen to push the cork into the bottle until it is halfway out. Then, use the pen to slowly twist and pull the cork out of the bottle. This method may take a bit longer, but it can be effective.

5. What should I do if the cork breaks while trying to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew?

If the cork breaks while you are trying to open a wine bottle without a corkscrew, you can use a pair of tongs or pliers to carefully grip the remaining part of the cork and pull it out. Alternatively, you can also use a strainer or cheesecloth to filter out any cork pieces and pour the wine into a decanter or another container. It is always best to have a backup plan or a spare corkscrew on hand to avoid this situation.