Moment Balance - Angled Wine Bottle Holder

In summary, the conversation was about solving for the reaction forces and/or moments in a bottle holder assembly with a wine bottle. The person was initially confused about the center of gravity, but confirmed that it would move depending on the orientation of the bottle. They discussed the forces and moments acting on the system and determined that the reaction force at the wine/holder interface would counteract the weight of the bottle. The attachment was later provided for better understanding of the problem.
riddle_me_phys
Hey all!

I think I have the problem within my grasp, just would like a second opinion to help me cross the finish line...

Homework Statement

Consider the following diagram of the bottle holder assembly (see attachment). The weight of the bottle is 11N, and the weight of the board is negligible. List all assumptions that are made. Solve for the reaction forces and/or moments.

Homework Equations

T = r x F
∑M_{z} = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

So I see that the counterclockwise moment from the wine bottle (around the pivot) is what creates the static equilibrium and allows the holder to stand.

I was initially confused at thinking about the center of gravity. I wasn't sure if it was the midpoint of the length of the wine bottle regardless of the cocked angle, but after pretending to be an angled wine bottle, I (re)confirmed with myself that the center of gravity will move depending on the orientation of the bottle. =)

However, I'm not sure how I can figure out where the center of gravity moved to with the 22 degree angle...

If I consider the system to be the holder + bottle, then the forces are: weight of wine (vertical component), and vertical reaction force at the...wine/holder interface? Do I count reaction forces at the holder base? I don't think there's internal moment at the pivot, since it's not anchored.

The moment equation about the wine holder pivot would be

∑ M_{z} = 0 = r_{wine} x (11 N) - r_{?} x F

I need some other moment force to counteract the weight of the wine bottle. So does that come from the reaction force at the wine/holder interface?

If so, then the reaction force there is F = 11N, and the r's would have to be the same value...
Which is saying that the wine's center of gravity is where the wine/holder interface is.

?

Attachments

• wine_bottle_holder.PNG
    wine_bottle_holder.PNG
    24.6 KB · Views: 2,261
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oops, forgot attachment. Now attached.

1. What is Moment Balance in relation to the Angled Wine Bottle Holder?

Moment balance refers to the principle of physics that states an object will remain in equilibrium if the sum of the clockwise moments equals the sum of the counterclockwise moments. In the case of the Angled Wine Bottle Holder, the holder uses moment balance to keep the wine bottle stable and prevent it from tipping over.

2. How does the Angled Wine Bottle Holder work?

The Angled Wine Bottle Holder utilizes the principle of moment balance to keep the wine bottle stable. It features a curved base with a low center of gravity, which allows the bottle to sit at an angle without tipping over. The weight of the bottle creates a clockwise moment, while the curve of the base creates a counterclockwise moment, resulting in equilibrium and stability.

3. What are the benefits of using the Angled Wine Bottle Holder?

The Angled Wine Bottle Holder offers several benefits, including preventing spills and messes from tipped over bottles. It also adds a unique and elegant touch to any table setting or wine display. Additionally, the holder can help aerate the wine by keeping it at an angle, allowing the liquid to come into contact with more air.

4. Can the Angled Wine Bottle Holder hold any size or shape of wine bottle?

Yes, the Angled Wine Bottle Holder is designed to accommodate most standard sized wine bottles, regardless of their shape. The curved base is flexible and can adjust to the size and shape of the bottle, ensuring stability and balance.

5. Is the Angled Wine Bottle Holder easy to clean and maintain?

Yes, the Angled Wine Bottle Holder is easy to clean and maintain. It is made of durable materials that are resistant to stains and can be easily wiped down with a damp cloth. It is also compact and lightweight, making it easy to store when not in use.