How to; polarized reaction ee--->WW

• Thread starter moss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of the polarized cross-section of the chiral reaction e^{-}e^{+}\rightarrow W^{-}W^{+}. It is mentioned that there are only 2 allowed input helicities, while 9 output combinations of W-boson helicities/polarization are possible. The question is posed on whether computing the matrix-M also includes computing the cross-section in the high-energy limit. The conversation also touches upon difficulties in understanding the spinors of left-handed positrons and right-handed electrons, as well as how to draw a graph between $$ {\frac{d}{dcos\theta}} $$ and $$ {cos\theta} $$ and show the energy dependence of the
moss
I want to compute the polarized cross-section of $$ {e^{-}e^{+}\rightarrow W^{-}W^{+}} $$
but this reaction is chiral and only 2 input helicities are allowed while 9 out put combinations of W-boson helicities/polarization are possible. W(+-0) & W(+-0) are the possible polarization of W-bosons.

The Qs. I am given is that compute the above reaction in high-energy limit so I guess I have to compute the matrix-M but does it also mean to compute the cross-section??

Further;

1: I am having difficulty to understand that how a left-handed positron has a right-handed spinor
and a right handed electron has a left-handed spinor, they are mostly denoted as v(p) & u(p').

2: From the matrix element M how can I draw a graph between $$ {\frac{d}{dcos\theta}} $$ and $$ {cos\theta} $$. OR how can I show the energy dependence of this reaction in graph?

this is the almost the same problem as peskin & schroeder 21.1 and the graphs are 21.10 and 5.1 of the same book.

any hint is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay, I got my Qs-1, actually I wrote wrong, only the spinor of anti-particle has opposite handedness and for the particle its the same handedness.
Some of the matrix-M are zero because of the orthogonality of the polarization vectors of the W-bosons.

Qs-2 still stand as how to draw the graph.
Any help??

Okay, I have completed the complete polarized reaction and cross section of [tex]e^{-}e^{+}\rightarrow W^{-}W^{+}[/tex].
Anybody interested in this can download the pdf. or email me and I will mail you the pdf.

1. How does polarized reaction occur in the ee--->WW process?

In a polarized reaction, the initial particles (ee) have different spins, causing the resulting particles (WW) to also have different spins. This can occur through a variety of mechanisms, such as through the use of polarized beams or through the influence of a polarized target.

2. What is the significance of polarized reaction in the ee--->WW process?

Polarized reactions provide a way to study the underlying structure and dynamics of particles involved in the ee--->WW process. By examining the polarization of the resulting particles, scientists can gain a better understanding of the fundamental forces and interactions at play.

3. How is the polarization of the resulting WW particles measured in a polarized reaction?

The polarization of the resulting WW particles can be measured through a variety of experimental techniques, such as by analyzing the angular distribution of the particles or by measuring the spin orientation of the particles using specialized detectors.

4. Can polarized reactions be used to test theories and models in particle physics?

Yes, polarized reactions are an important tool in testing and validating theories and models in particle physics. By studying the polarization of the resulting particles, scientists can confirm or refute theoretical predictions and gain a deeper understanding of the underlying physics principles.

5. Are polarized reactions used in other areas of science besides particle physics?

Yes, polarized reactions have applications in other fields such as nuclear physics, astrophysics, and materials science. They provide a way to probe the spin properties of particles and materials, which can provide valuable insights into their underlying structure and behavior.