How to prove differential property of homogeneous function

In summary, the equality states that for a rational algebraic homogeneous function of degree n in differential operators and a regular non-differential homogeneous function of the same degree n, the order of differentiation does not affect the result. This can be shown by considering only monomials and using the product rule.
Prpan
I came across of an equality which I have difficulty to understand. If f_n is a rational algebraic homogeneous function of degree n in the differential operators and if g_n is a regular non-differential homogeneous function of the same degree n, following equality takes place [Hobson: The theory of spherical and ellipsoidal harmonics, 1931]

[tex]f_n\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial{x_1}},\frac{\partial}{\partial{x_2}},...,\frac{\partial}{\partial{x_p}}\right)g_n(x_1,x_2,...,x_p)=g_n\left(\frac{\partial}{\partial{x_1}},\frac{\partial}{\partial{x_2}},...,\frac{\partial}{\partial{x_p}}\right)f_n(x_1,x_2,...,x_p)[/tex]

Could someone help me to figure out how to obtain this equality?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
We may consider only monomials, because differentiation is linear. The only terms which do not vanish are of the form ##\dfrac{\partial^{n_{i_1}}}{\partial x_{i_1}}\ldots \dfrac{\partial^{n_{i_k}}}{\partial x_{i_k}} \left( x_{i_1}^{n_{i_1}}\ldots x_{i_k}^{n_{i_k}} \right)## since all others either have a power less than ##n_j## or a variable which doesn't occur at all. The product rule doesn't matter, since we have partial derivatives where all other variables are treated as constants.

1. How do you define a homogeneous function?

A homogeneous function is a type of mathematical function in which each independent variable is multiplied by a constant, resulting in a function that can be expressed as a single variable raised to a power. In other words, it follows the rule: f(kx, ky) = k^n * f(x,y), where n is a constant and k is any real number.

2. What is the differential property of a homogeneous function?

The differential property of a homogeneous function states that the partial derivatives of the function with respect to its variables can be expressed in terms of the function itself. In other words, the derivatives of a homogeneous function are proportional to the function itself.

3. How can you prove the differential property of a homogeneous function?

The differential property of a homogeneous function can be proven using the Euler's homogeneous function theorem. This theorem states that for a homogeneous function f(x1, x2,...,xn) of degree k, the following equation holds true: x1*∂f/∂x1 + x2*∂f/∂x2 + ... + xn*∂f/∂xn = kf. By substituting the variables and their derivatives in this equation, we can prove the differential property of a homogeneous function.

4. Can the differential property of a homogeneous function be applied to any type of function?

No, the differential property of a homogeneous function can only be applied to functions that follow the rule of homogeneity. This means that the function can be expressed as a constant multiplied by a single variable raised to a power.

5. How is the differential property of a homogeneous function useful in scientific research?

The differential property of a homogeneous function is useful in many areas of scientific research, such as economics, physics, and engineering. It allows researchers to simplify complex functions by expressing their derivatives in terms of the function itself. This can make calculations and analysis easier and more efficient, leading to a better understanding of the underlying relationships between variables in a system.