How to Purify Acetone with Magnesium Sulphate & Activated Carbon

  • Thread starter Thread starter scienceboy2000
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Acetone
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
scienceboy2000
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
I bought a can of acetone recently. I called the manufacturer and they said that the acetone was 99.5 percent pure. This is not good enough for me. I need it as pure as possible. I have tried tossing in anhydrous magnesium sulphate (about 40 grams per litre), shaking well for a couple minutes, then letting it sit overnight. This seems to result in a more pure acetone, but i am a perfectionist (by the way, was there anything wrong with my drying procedure?)

I was wondering if using activated carbon would work better? I will of course try it out and see how it works, but i would like some direction in purifying my acetone even more.

Also, will the mag sulphate i used leech water back into the acetone after a while? Or should i filter it off after letting the can sit for, say 24 hours?
 
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Look what I found: http://pac.iupac.org/publications/pac/pdf/1986/pdf/5811x1535.pdf
 
Last edited by a moderator: