(How to) Sending Packets Between Different VLANs

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of sending packets between different VLANs. It is mentioned that packets are sent within VLANs using switches, and if the IP address of the recipient is not known, the switch will issue a broadcast. The main options for sending packets between VLANs are trunking, using a special layer-3 switch, or using regular old routers with a single interface. It is suggested to download a manual for a router that supports VLANs for more information.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi all,
Please critique my attempt to understand the n
I'm trying to understadand the process of sending packets between different VLAns
My understanding is that packets are sent within Vlans by using switches. Packet is sent to switch , which has a
table listing pairings of MAC addresses with their assigned IPaddresses. If the IP address of the recipient is not known,
the switch will issue a broadcast.

But, how are these packets sent between VLAns?
From my reading, I gather the main options are:
1) Trunking . This consists of a physical link between the VLAns.
VLAn 1 will then encapsulate additional information in the packets, which will be stripped away by the trunk,
and relayed to VLAn 2

2) By using some special layer-3( Re OSI model) switch that is able to
connect different VLAns .

3) Using regular old routers, with a single interface?

Is this accurate?

Maybe @Svein would know?

Last edited:
Computer science news on Phys.org
Your quesition seems to span both the physical and functional aspects. This tutorial seems pretty popular. It might be a good match for your questions.

Likes WWGD
I'm puzzled by the question - are you trying to do this? Your router/managed switch let's you - or should let you - define VLANS and the rules for passing packets between them.

Vanadium 50 said:
I'm puzzled by the question - are you trying to do this? Your router/managed switch let's you - or should let you - define VLANS and the rules for passing packets between them.
I'm just curious.

Probably best then is to download a manual for a router that supports it. It's preety straightforward - VLANs get routed more or less like other packets.

1. What is a VLAN?

A VLAN, or Virtual Local Area Network, is a logical grouping of devices on a network that are separated based on their functions or departments. This allows for better security, organization, and network performance.

2. Why would I need to send packets between different VLANs?

In order to allow communication between devices on different VLANs, packets must be sent between them. This is necessary for devices to access resources or data located on other VLANs.

3. How do I send packets between different VLANs?

To send packets between different VLANs, you can use a router or a layer 3 switch. These devices have the ability to route traffic between VLANs by using IP addresses and routing protocols.

4. What are the benefits of sending packets between different VLANs?

By sending packets between different VLANs, you can improve network performance by reducing congestion and segmenting traffic. It also allows for better security by isolating sensitive data or devices on separate VLANs.

5. Are there any limitations or challenges when sending packets between different VLANs?

One limitation is that devices on different VLANs cannot communicate directly with each other without going through a router or layer 3 switch. This can also create additional network complexity and potential points of failure. It is important to carefully plan and configure VLANs to avoid any potential issues.