How to show algebraically that Q reaches its maximum as P approaches O

  • Thread starter Thread starter Manni
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Limits
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Manni
Messages
42
Reaction score
0
I need help with this question. I understand that logic behind it; as P approaches O the value the right bisector Q reaches it's maximum. I don't know how to show this algebraically however. Help?
 
Attachments
  • A5 Q6 .jpg
    A5 Q6 .jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 528
Physics news on Phys.org
We give P the coordinates (x,y). We know that P is on the parabola, so we know that

[tex]P=(x,x^2)[/tex]

Now, can you find the coordinates of the point Q??
 
Ok, so the bisector would intersect P at point x/2. Because I know that the x coordinate on Q is 0, how would I find it's y?
 
Answer the following steps:

- Find the midpoint M between 0 en P.
- Find the equation of the line L going through 0 and P
- Find a vector perpendicular to the line L
- Construct the equation of the line R going through M and perpendicular through L
- Find Q as the intersection between R and the y-axis.

All of these questions involve nothing more than 10th grade geometry. So you should be able to complete these easily.
 
How do I show algebraically that Q approaches infinity as P approaches the origin?
 
Manni said:
How do I show algebraically that Q approaches infinity as P approaches the origin?

It doesn't approach infinity.

Did you find the expression for Q?