1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

The speed of a projectile when it reaches its maximum height

1. May 21, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The speed of a projectile when it reaches its maximum height is one-half its speed when it is at half its maxi- mum height. What is the initial projection angle of the projectile?

2. Relevant equations
    Vf2 = vi2 + 2ax

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that the speed at the top only consist of an x component and that the speed at half the height would be sqrt(vx2+vy2) . But im trying everything from two hours and not getting a solution. The answer is suppost to be 67.8 but I dont know how to get it someone help

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2016 #2
    The max height of the projectile is given by [itex] \frac {u^2sin^2(\theta)}{2g} [/itex] where [itex] \theta [/itex] is the angle of projection. Half the height would be [itex] \frac {u^2sin^2(\theta)}{4g} [/itex] . Find the y-component of velocity at half the height . Find the speed by adding the x and y components. Equate it to twice the x-component. Solve for [itex] \theta [/itex] . You should get your answer.

4. May 21, 2016 #3
    X comp : Vicos@t
    Y comp : sqrt(visin@ -2gh/2)

5. May 21, 2016 #4
    X comp : Vicos@ ***

6. May 21, 2016 #5
    Vf = sqrt((vicos@)^2 + Visin@-gh)

7. May 22, 2016 #6
    Are those the correct components?

8. May 22, 2016 #7
    The x-component is correct ([itex] v_icos (\theta) [/itex]) the y-component is wrong. You should learn [itex] \LaTeX [/itex] else your equations are hard to read.

9. May 22, 2016 #8
    Visin@ - gt ?

10. May 23, 2016 #9
    You are just giving me equations, I don't think you are putting in much effort. For the y-component [itex] v_i = v_isin(\theta) [/itex] , acceleration [itex] a = -g [/itex] and height [itex] h = \frac{v_i^2sin^2(\theta)}{4g} [/itex] What equation of motion do you use now to get [itex] v_f [/itex] ?

11. May 23, 2016 #10
    Vf2 = vi2 + 2ax

12. May 23, 2016 #11
    So I will get vi2sin2@/2 for vfy and then i get vf which will be sqrt(vi2cos2@ + vi2sin2@) i equate this to 2

13. May 23, 2016 #12
    2viCos@ which gives me Cos@2 = 1/3 which gives an angle of 54.74 while the answer is 67.8

14. May 23, 2016 #13
    You have clearly made a calculation mistake , using the equation you'll get [itex] v_f^2 = \frac{v_i^2sin^2(\theta)}{2} [/itex] . The resulting equation will be [tex] 4v_i^2cos^2(\theta) = v_i^2cos^2(\theta) + \frac{v_i^2sin^2(\theta)}{2} [/tex] Solve for [itex] \theta [/itex] you'll get your answer.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted