Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to show SU(n) is a normal subgroup of U(n)

1. Jan 10, 2010 #1
    Hi

I'd like to show that SU(n) is a normal subgroup of U(n).

Here are my thoughts:

1)The kernel of of homomorphism is a normal subgroup.

2)So if we consider a mapping F: G-> G'=det(G)

3)Then all elements of G which are SU(n), map to the the identity of G', therefore SU(n) is a normal subgroup of GL(n,C).

Firstly, is this correct?

Also, a very stupid question, but can I ask whether my musings constitute a formal 'proof'? I mean, would I need to show prove statements (1) and (2) (ie. show it obeys the homom. property) or can I just say that I've assumed that they are for the purposes of the proof at hand?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 11, 2010 #2
    you are correct - formal proofs can assume other known theorems - it is a matter of how much your reader needs to see and how much he already knows.

4. Jan 11, 2010 #3
    thanks wofsy... I should have given a bit of context.

I'm going to sit an exam on introductory group theory, lie algebras and representations very soon... I feel a bit unsure when I see "prove that" questions (my excuse, if you can call it that, is that my background isn't in mathematics but I am doing a masters in one and I don't know many of the things I am expected to know...)

5. Jan 11, 2010 #4
    I would say that theorems in your book or theorems proved in class you can refer to without proof. But the best way to know is to ask you teacher.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook