How to show this mathmatically?

• Thread starter Kaldanis
  • Start date
In summary, the statement is that A is a subset of B if and only if removing all elements of A that are in B results in an empty set. This can be written mathematically as A ⊆ B ⇔ A \ B = ∅.
Kaldanis

Homework Statement

Let A and B be sets.
Show that A \ B = ∅ if and only if A ⊆ B.

I think this means that A is a subset of B, therefor if I remove all the elements of A that are in B, A would end up being empty (or ∅).

How do I write this mathmatically or is the above sentence acceptable?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kaldanis said:

Homework Statement

Let A and B be sets.
Show that A \ B = ∅ if and only if A ⊆ B.I think this means that A is a subset of B, therefor if I remove all the elements of A that are in B, A would end up being empty (or ∅).

How do I write this mathmatically or is the above sentence acceptable?

You would start with something like, A is a subset of B implies for all x in A, x is in B. ...

1. How do I represent variables and equations in mathematical notation?

Variables are typically represented with letters, such as x, y, or z. Equations are represented with the equal sign (=) and can include variables, numbers, and mathematical operations such as addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (*), and division (/).

2. What is the difference between an expression and an equation?

An expression is a mathematical phrase that contains numbers, variables, and mathematical operations, but does not have an equal sign. An equation is a statement that shows the equality between two expressions, with an equal sign in the middle.

3. How do I show the order of operations in a mathematical expression?

The order of operations in a mathematical expression is typically represented with parentheses (), brackets [], or curly braces {}. These symbols indicate which operations should be performed first, followed by those that come next according to the acronym PEMDAS (parentheses, exponents, multiplication and division from left to right, addition and subtraction from left to right).

4. How do I represent fractions and decimals in mathematical notation?

Fractions can be represented with the division symbol (/) or with a horizontal line. Decimals can be represented with a decimal point (.) or with scientific notation (a number followed by a decimal point and another number multiplied by a power of 10).

5. How do I show a graph or plot in mathematical notation?

Graphs and plots can be represented using coordinates on a Cartesian plane, with the horizontal axis representing the independent variable and the vertical axis representing the dependent variable. The points on the graph can be connected with a line or marked with individual points.