How to sketch a "2nd grade s-t" from a "linear v-t"

• Thread starter Optikspik
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sketch
In summary, when given a v-t diagram and asked to sketch a s-t diagram, the key is to find the exact form of the velocity function and then find an antiderivative to get the position function. If the velocity function is unknown, you can use Euler's method to approximate the position function.
Optikspik

Homework Statement

(with s i mean what many people know as "x" also known as "distance"[/B]
IF this v-t diagram was given (Just made up in my head) , how would i sketch a s-t diagram?

BAiN4oS.png
Since the s-t diagram would be a second grade polynomia, for instance between t=0 and t=5 the area under the curve on the v-t would be 1/2*5*10=25 (in the unit meter).

So between t=0 and t=5 s would go from 0 to 25 meters, but how can i draw it "perfectly" without just "sketching?

Anyone have a tip?

For instance:

jMdSxNx.png

Can i make the s-t skiss "perfect by doing an a-t diagram first or? How would u attempt an solution?

Or if no numbers were given, would from t=0 to t=5 look like this , or would the (dy/dx) be more and then decrease? or is it like here that the differentiate (dy/dx) is increasing all the time on s-t between t=0 and t=5

Physics news on Phys.org
Optikspik said:

Homework Statement

(with s i mean what many people know as "x" also known as "distance"[/B]
IF this v-t diagram was given (Just made up in my head) , how would i sketch a s-t diagram?

BAiN4oS.png

The velocity function v(t) is, by definition, the derivative function of the position function s(t). If you can find the exact form of the velocity function, you can then find a form of the position function by finding an antiderivative. The many possible antiderivatives differ by a single additive constant, which requires knowledge of at least one exact position at an exact time.
In particular, assuming the section of the graph between (0,0) and (5, 10) is a straight line, we can calculate its slope as [itex]\frac{10}{5} = 2[/itex]. As the y-intercept is 0, we know that this part of the velocity function may be calculated with the function v(t) = 2t. Any position function s(t) whose derivative is 2t could then be a potential position function that would have that particular section of the graph as ithe graph of its velocity function.
If, hypothetically, you did not know of any function you could graph which has 2t as its derivative function, then you would start at some known position, such as s(0) = 0, and attach a line of slope 2(0) = 0 for a small distance, like 1 unit. Then, at (1, 0), attach a tangent line of slope 2t = 2(1) = 2 for another unit, so that it ends at (2, 2). And so on. In reality, you may want to program a computer to do this, and use much smaller intervals than 1 unit. The smaller the interval you use, the closer the graph will be to the actual solution. This method of sketching the graph of an unknown curve with a known derivative is known as Euler's method.

From t= 0 to 5, it looks like v(t)=2t.
So, you would plot s(t) = t^2 over that range.
Then it appears v(t) is constant for 4 seconds at 10, so s is increasing linearly at 10units/second.
A drop in v(t) will be a slowdown but still increasing.
It looks like you have a good start.

What is a 2nd grade s-t and a linear v-t?

A 2nd grade s-t refers to a position-time graph where the position is plotted on the vertical axis and time is plotted on the horizontal axis. A linear v-t graph shows the relationship between velocity and time, where velocity is plotted on the vertical axis and time is plotted on the horizontal axis.

What materials do I need to sketch a 2nd grade s-t from a linear v-t?

To sketch a 2nd grade s-t from a linear v-t, you will need a graph paper, a pencil, a ruler, and a calculator. You may also find it helpful to have a protractor for accurately measuring angles.

What steps do I need to follow to sketch a 2nd grade s-t from a linear v-t?

First, gather all necessary materials. Then, plot the time values on the horizontal axis of the graph paper. Next, calculate the position values by multiplying the velocity values with the corresponding time values. Plot these position values on the vertical axis. Use a ruler to connect the plotted points, creating a line. Finally, label the axes and include a title for your graph.

What are some tips for accurately sketching a 2nd grade s-t from a linear v-t?

To ensure accuracy, make sure the scale for both axes is appropriate for the data. Use a ruler to draw straight lines and a protractor for measuring angles. Double-check your calculations and plotting to avoid errors. Additionally, it can be helpful to label each point on the graph as you plot it.

How can I interpret the resulting graph of a 2nd grade s-t from a linear v-t?

The resulting graph will show the position of the object over time. The slope of the line represents the velocity of the object. A steeper slope indicates a higher velocity, while a flatter slope indicates a lower velocity. The point where the line crosses the horizontal axis represents the starting position of the object, and the point where the line ends represents the final position. The shape of the graph can also reveal information about the object's motion, such as constant or changing velocity.