How to solve a percentage word problem for profit?

In summary: Can you try again?i am sorry... that didn't make sense.Please show all of your work so we can check it. Thank you.In summary, the person sold goods for Rs 168.3 that he would have made 20% profit if he sold them for Rs 201.9.
alijan kk

Homework Statement

A person lost 10% when he sold goods at Rs 153 for how much should he sell them to gain 20% .

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

0.10(153)= 15.3

153+15.3= 168.3 ( the price of product for no profit)

0.2(168.3)=33.6
(168.3+33.6)= 201.9 rupees is the 20% gain ?

have i done the problem correctly , or is their a more general way to do this.

Physics news on Phys.org
In your first step, you have taken 10% of the sale amount. Is that really what you want to be doing? Think about it.

Likes FactChecker
phinds said:
In your first step, you have taken 10% of the sale amount. Is that really what you want to be doing? Think about it.
negative 10 percent ?

Last edited:
alijan kk said:
negative 10 percent ?
IS MY ANS CORRECT?
No. You are taking 10% of the wrong thing. @phinds hint is a good one.
EDIT: I would have been more clear if I said that you are using 10% the wrong way.

alijan kk said:
negative 10 percent ?
IS MY ANS CORRECT?
No, it is not correct (and no need to be yelling with all capital letters...).

As @phinds was hinting, your original method to calculate the starting amount is not correct (you have made a very common error for students learning to work this type of problem.

If I have 100 of something, what is 10% less than that? Can you apply that same logic to this problem? Let X be the starting amount in this problem, and try again to do the calculation, using the hint I have provided. :smile:

Dang it, beaten out y @FactChecker yet again... :smile:

Likes alijan kk
berkeman said:
No, it is not correct (and no need to be yelling with all capital letters...).

As @phinds was hinting, your original method to calculate the starting amount is not correct (you have made a very common error for students learning to work this type of problem.

If I have 100 of something, what is 10% less than that? Can you apply that same logic to this problem? Let X be the starting amount in this problem, and try again to do the calculation, using the hint I have provided. :smile:

Dang it, beaten out y @FactChecker yet again... :smile:
i am sorry i still don't get it :(

berkeman said:
If I have 100 of something, what is 10% less than that? Can you apply that same logic to this problem? Let X be the starting amount in this problem
Use my hint. Let X be the starting amount, and Y is the amount that is discounted by 10%. Show that equation please. Then let Z be the amount that is 20% more than the starting amount. Can you show that equation please?

Then using those two equations that you have written out, you should be able to solve the problem with a little algebraic manipulation... :smile:

Please show all of your work so we can check it. Thank you.

Likes alijan kk
berkeman said:
Use my hint. Let X be the starting amount, and Y is the amount that is discounted by 10%. Show that equation please. Then let Z be the amount that is 20% more than the starting amount. Can you show that equation please?

Then using those two equations that you have written out, you should be able to solve the problem with a little algebraic manipulation... :smile:

0.90X=Y

is this a correct equation

alijan kk said:
0.90X=Y

is this a correct equation
Yes, good so far! Keep on going...

Likes alijan kk
berkeman said:
Yes, good so far! Keep on going...
original price is 170 !
yes thankyou . i am going.. not very well but ok

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:

Z= 170+0.20(170)= 204 yes this is the answer thankyou!

Likes berkeman
alijan kk said:
Good work. :smile:

So do you see the issue now with your original approach? You need to find the original value before trying to add to it. Like I said, it is a common error as you start to learn this type of problem. But now you know what to look out for! :smile:

alijan kk said:
BTW, another way to write that is 1.2 * 170 = 204.

Likes alijan kk
berkeman said:
BTW, another way to write that is 1.2 * 170 = 204.
hmm yes direct answer

Likes berkeman
alijan kk said:
hmm yes direct answer
i am sorry to post here , but i how can i use all maths symbol ? (to post calculus problems)

alijan kk said:
i am sorry to post here , but i how can i use all maths symbol ? (to post calculus problems)
No worries, and good for you to want to start posting using math symbols. You can click on the sigma ∑ symbol in the toolbar at the top of the Edit window to get simple symbols for in-line text, and you can learn more about posting in LaTeX in the tutorial under INFO/Help-How To at the top of the page. :smile:

What is a percentage word problem?

A percentage word problem is a type of math problem that involves calculating a percentage of a given number, or finding the original number given a percentage increase or decrease.

How do I solve a percentage word problem?

To solve a percentage word problem, you first need to identify the given information, such as the percentage, the original number, and the resulting number. Then, you can use the formula "part = percent x whole" to solve for the missing value.

Can you give an example of a percentage word problem?

Sure, here's an example: If a shirt originally costs $50 and is on sale for 25% off, what is the sale price? Using the formula, we can set up the equation as x = 0.25 x $50. Solving for x, we get the sale price of $12.50.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving percentage word problems?

One common mistake is forgetting to convert percentages to decimals before using them in calculations. Another mistake is mixing up the order of the numbers in the formula, which can lead to incorrect results. It's important to carefully read and understand the problem before attempting to solve it.

How can I use percentage word problems in real life situations?

Percentage word problems are commonly used in everyday situations, such as calculating sales tax, finding discounts, or determining tips. They can also be used in business settings to analyze data and make decisions based on percentages, such as sales growth or budget allocations.