How to Solve Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkov Equations for Neutron Stars?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
Karliski
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Does anyone know of a good reference regarding solving the Tolman-Oppenheimer-Volkov equations for neutron stars? Most things I find are either too elementary and others skip multiple steps. I think the EoS to use should be that of a Fermi gas model, but I am not sure.
 
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Have you tried Black Holes, White Dwarfs, and Neutron Stars, by Shapiro and Teukolsky?
 
Hey, not yet. I am trying to avoid buying a book at the moment because getting them to South Africa is a bit expensive.
 
I decided to 1st try and model a white dwarf. My problem is that I can't find a good starting pressure to use. Also, can I assume uniform density for a white dwarf? Does the EoS (polytrope) give me central pressure when a value of rho is inserted into it?

Thanks,
Karl