1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to spend my gap years meaningfully before undergrad?

1. Feb 15, 2016 #1
    Greetings!
    Having finished my A-Levels, some unforeseen circumstances had forced me to take 2 gap years before starting my undergraduate studies in Physics, and I hope to make these 2 years count by doing something meaningful. The first thing that comes to mind is work experience/internship opportunities with organizations such as CERN or ESA. However, after a few hours of Googling, I've found out that all of these opportunities are reserved for current undergraduates/postgraduates.

My question is :
    For those that had been in my shoes before, what are the things that I can do that will benefit my future career as a physicist? Are there any such work/intern opportunities that I might have missed?

Thank you!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2016 #2
    try tackling the mysteries in physics. you don't necessarily have to solve it though, but doing your best helps

4. Feb 15, 2016 #3
    I don't know other activities (and make sure you do other things) but firstly I would learn as much maths as possible (upto the highest level you possibly can-following the course outline of your physics program (ie the maths needed)) as physicists must be mathematicians too.

Maybe an internship or lab work if possible with other firms and organisations? But definitely learn the maths, among other things. Good luck!

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook