• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

How to start with Reinmann geometry

Main Question or Discussion Point

HI , i am having a problem in reinmann geometry as i am not able to cope up with the language used in
"introduction to reinmann geometry-with applications in mechanics ang relativity".Can anyone suggest an easy to go with book, for a beginner for self study

Answers and Replies

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
A good start is to get the name Riemann geometry correctly.

Apart from that, you will need a solid foundation in linear algebra and multivariable calculus.

HI , i am having a problem in reinmann geometry as i am not able to cope up with the language used in
"introduction to reinmann geometry-with applications in mechanics ang relativity".Can anyone suggest an easy to go with book, for a beginner for self study
How are we supposed to answer this if you're not giving us any clue of your current knowledge in math and physics? Nor did you tell us whether you want a book that is rigorous or just a book "for physicists".

Understand the calculus on manifolds. I think this is , basically , advanced multivariable calculus. For a start , try to figure out how to compute the curvature of a curve , then move to surfaces on three-dimenional Euclidean space. You should master this machinery given enough time. I can't recommend any textbooks though because you did not provide enough details about what exactly you're trying to do.

sorry to reply very late, i have just completed 12th standard and am very curious to know GR and SR. i hv some knowledge of calculus(excluding integration in two variable,partial differential equations,...).I know very little about tensors and vector field. can u guide me how to proceed? plsreply at the earliest.

I want to do majors in physics, and am very curious about GR. Pls guide me how to proceed as i am just a beginner and know very little about
manifolds,tensors,......

Orodruin
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
I am sorry, you do not have the prerequisites to study Riemannian geometry. I have already given you information on what subjects you need to master first in post #2.

I am sorry, you do not have the prerequisites to study Riemannian geometry. I have already given you information on what subjects you need to master first in post #2.
which book should i refer for multivariable calculus ?

and please tell me what are prerequisities to study riemannian geometry apart from algebra and multivariable calculus.

Last edited by a moderator: