Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How to turn a proton into neutron by e+p->n?

1. Aug 2, 2008 #1
    how to turn a proton into neutron by e+p-->n?

Just as the topic said,is it possible to turn a proton into a neutron by forcing a electron into the proton?If it's possible,what condition is it required?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2008 #2
    [tex]n^0 \rightarrow p^+ + e^- + \overline\nu _e[/tex]

Last edited: Aug 3, 2008
  4. Aug 3, 2008 #3
    Re: how to turn a proton into neutron by e+p-->n?

Actually it's completely possible provided your electron has enough energy, it will turn itself into a neutrino and the proton into a neutron (via [itex]W^{-}[/itex] exchange, a u becomes a d, both quarks being in the same SU(2) isospin doublet connected by this exchange).

Note that the reaction is as interesting as its final state is daunting.

5. Aug 3, 2008 #4

I know there is a way of electron capture.But,how much energy is it needed?In other words,WHAT CONDITION is the capture reaction required?

6. Aug 3, 2008 #5

Electron capture usually refers to unstable isotope. It's a spontaneous atomic and nuclear process. I was referring to an electron beam on a hydrogen target. But in any case, the energy required will be given by the differences between the masses (and you can neglect the mass of the neutrino !). If you have an electron incident on a free proton, the balance is positive anyway by slightly less than 0.8 MeV.

7. Aug 3, 2008 #6

Thanks a lot.Your quote was what I was answering #2,not for you ^-^.And you seems to have the same idea(to beam hydrogen targets with electrons).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?